Massing models in CityEngine?

Jump to solution
04-21-2015 01:56 PM
ScottAulen2
New Contributor III

What's the most efficient way to generate 3d massing models in CityEngine?  I have access to lidar data and recent oblique imagery.  I know I can generate volumetric buildings fairly easily but I'm looking for something with accurate massing and roof articulation (like the attached picture).  Should I be trying to do this in SketchUp instead?  I have several to do so I'm looking for something other than modeling them each manually.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Scott, there is a rule called Building Construction in this CityEngine example:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=4b928739ca7c4effa11ee29530419057

It lets you mass model using several massing options, and then has a facade designer. You can download it and adjust the design settings of the buildings and see if that will work for you. You don't need to make a bunch of models in sketchup. Just design the building footprints and use the procedural rules in CityEngine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Scott, there is a rule called Building Construction in this CityEngine example:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=4b928739ca7c4effa11ee29530419057

It lets you mass model using several massing options, and then has a facade designer. You can download it and adjust the design settings of the buildings and see if that will work for you. You don't need to make a bunch of models in sketchup. Just design the building footprints and use the procedural rules in CityEngine.

0 Kudos
ScottAulen2
New Contributor III

Chris,

That rule works pretty well.  I'm using it to model existing buildings though and for some of the more unique buildings should I do the touch up work (roof articulations other than flat, hip or gable; isolated balconies; ground floor columns, etc.) in another 3d editing software.  Is it possible/advisable to edit vertices in CityEngine similar to how it's done in ArcMap?  Can this be done in ArcScene or ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, you can edit vertices in CityEngine.

CityEngine was designed for procedural modeling, so if you are making a unique model of a specific, real-world building, then try Maya, Rhino, 3DS, or Sketchup. And then import them into a huge city context model built using CGA rules in CityEngine.

Chris

0 Kudos