KML Parsing Errors CityEngine 2013.1

02-05-2014 01:19 AM
AdamCraig
New Contributor
Hi there,

This is my first post but I knew this would be the place to come for some help! Since updating from CE2012.1 to 2013.1 I get numerous KML parsing errors when importing KMZ models made in Sketchup. I also get warnings of 'KML schema validation failed' and 'mesh creation failed: PRTX mesh violation: mesh must contain one face at least'. I'm unsure as to why this is happening as I never had this problem in 2012.1.

It seems to pertain to the com.ersi.prt.clients.ce and com.procedural.ceshape plugins according to the log.

Some of the textured faces the models (it's not just one but any that have been exported from Sketchup) seem to missing in CE and replaced with others in the model.

Any help would be much appreciated from all!

Adam.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Since KML files are interpreted differently by different companies, that's a contstant headache.

Can you send me / point me to some explample files ?

But please first read this thread, if you did not already :
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/68876-Importing-obj-dae-from-Sketchup

Matt
0 Kudos
AdamCraig
New Contributor
Thanks for the reply, sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I did see that thread thanks. I have attached some images so hopefully you can what I'm taking about. As you can see, most of the model imports correctly but a couple of the textures are missing in CE. Just to re-iterate, this did not happen in CE 2012!

I have tried to upload the model as a zipped kmz but it is too large for the forum. Do you have a direct email where I can send it to you?

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Adam.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31437[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31438[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

we've fixed some issues in the kml importer that cause issues in CE2013.

The fix will be available with CityEngine 2014. ( Not too distant future 🙂 )

I can test your file, send me a PM.

Ok ?

Matt
0 Kudos
DennisSherman1
New Contributor II

Good day,

I am currently using CityEngine 2014, attempting to import a .kmz file, and experiencing the same 'KML schema validation failed' and 'mesh creation failed: PRTX mesh violation: mesh must contain one face at least' warnings under the log. Specifically, the model imports without any of the textures for building facades and roofs. I have made numerous alterations to the texture paths in the .dae and .kml file (the textures are referenced in both, and this displays correctly on google maps/Earth).

I am posting a web-link to the kmz file open in Google Earth:

Keele Campus

And a second link to download the .kmz file:

http://icampus.apps01.yorku.ca/all/keeleall.kmz

I have changed the .kmz file layout to ensure the texture paths in the .dae file and the .kml file match the location of the textures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

0 Kudos
AdamCraig
New Contributor
So when you say 2014 is coming in the future, do you have a rough idea when that will be?

I have now found CityEngine to be the ideal software to use as part of my PhD research and just a little disappointed that these errors are now starting to occur when they did not previously! It virtually renders the software useless for me as I don't want to have to fix everything retrospectively.

Please sort it out sooner rather than later (I know you guys will!! 🙂 )

I'll send you a PM with one of my models and see what you can suggest in the meantime.

Thanks!

Adam.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

sent you a PM back ..

🙂
0 Kudos