Is there a repository or database of rule files that are available to be downloaded?

11-18-2014 10:24 AM
Data___Visualization_StudioDat
New Contributor III

I was wondering if there was a database of rule files that I could download and import into the scene that I am creating.

I am very new to CityEngine and have not created my own rules, but rather used the elements from the International City.cga file.

I wanted to add other elements such as a metro/train station, parks, sports fields etc. but have not been able to find any.

Any help/direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DavidWasserman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi David,

The first step is to examine the rules in the ESRI.lib project, and take a look at the rules used there. You seem to already have taken the first step in doing that by looking at International City. 

For more rule/examples though:

The 3D GIS resource center has a number of projects which includes rule files, assets, and other procedural examples. The most common set of rules that we like to share with people include the Redland's Example and others found on the website.

I hope this is helpful.
Kind Regards,
David

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
DonF
by
New Contributor

Pointing us to the standard resources is not the same as providing a warehouse or forum where users can share our own resources, in one convenient easy to find spot, without having to plow through tons of pages to look for one little thing.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We need this. Seems like a good time and place to start brainstorming what rules we need. Don has these rules on his list above:

metro/train station

parks

sports fields

So... Anyone who is interested, please reply with any rules that you want, and we'll just start fleshing out what should go in a rule repository. As to where and how such a thing should reside, we can figure that out later.

0 Kudos
AhmadDamanhouri1
New Contributor II

hi,

metro/train station rule file is it available ?

thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

There is a rail rule and a train model in Example Redlands Redevelopment, I think.

Here:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=4b928739ca7c4effa11ee29530419057

0 Kudos
SheylaSantana
New Contributor III

Hi, Chris.

Is these rules still available? I need sports field and train rail.

If you can send me, I really appreciate.

shesantana@hotmail.com

Many Thanks.

Sheyla

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Don,

Many times it is good to start with Standard Resources on forums like this to help people get started. I agree with Chris Wilkins there should be a larger discussion about making a formal or informal repository. One issue is that many of the rules created by CityEngine users end up becoming proprietary, and also unlike other code bases good rules tend to have an assortment of assets that they also have to deal with rights issues with.

I think there are plans to put rules on the ArcGIS marketplace at some point? I am not sure on this, but I saw it on a presentation in the past.

I will investigate to see if I can find more rules to connect to here. I think parks can be made with elements of the building construction rule...should check.

Kind Regards,
David

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos