From Procedural to ESRI

11-25-2011 07:27 AM
AndréCardoso
New Contributor III
Hi 🙂

We've been contacted (actually, we had to contact them) by our local ESRI office in order to receive the CE update. We've received it today (after some weeks).... in DVD: because we don't really have an account in ESRI linking us to this product (I can't download anything from ESRI!), so they opted to send us a DVD.

Can I TAKE SOME ACTIVE ACTION so that our company is definitely "linked" to the ESRI client database, thus avoiding more wasted time waiting, for example, for version updates? This is bodering me particularly because CityEngine product and Support was NOT CHEAP...

I'm writing this here, because our local offices did not quite have a clear understanding of what was going on, and I wanted to know if this is happening to someone else. And maybe raise some consciouness on people from ESRI reading this....

I wanted to try to understand how to proceed from now on. I mean:

1: how will further updates will be given to us?
2: should I keep using Procedural's site to write support tickets? I know the system is still working (or was until a few days ago), but will it be maintained further? Can I keep relying on it?

Thanks in advance,
André
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi Andre..

Yes, not everything has worked perfectly so far, we know. But it was inevidable that there will be some hiccups if you try to integrate a startup company into a big corporate company in so short time.

But we all agree : Better one 'short' time with some hiccups, but once it's done the machine will run again. I guess the hiccup period is over now and things have been resolved. Mostly. 🙂

What also has to be known is that all Non-US Esri Distributors are actually independent companies, thus the whole 'cycle' of getting up to speed may have been slowed down a little.

Concerning your questions :

1]
You're supposed to be registered directly in the database of your local Distributor and thus get all necessary data directly from them. Including data to e.g. access software updates via DOWNLOAD.

As I know you, you and your company are a very fast reacting users, assimilating updates much faster than it may be the case for companies which have to assimilate a new product and filter through the new user database, create web sites, promotional material, set up support and so on and so on.

Esri is a very serious company, with the best intentions for the customer, including creating welcome packages and physical dvds for their users.

2]
Concerning support, your direct contact would officially also be your local Esri Distributor, so if they are not yet ready to give you the proper support, use the other way you know - and yes, rely on it. You payed your support, thus you get it. This or an other way.

Let me know if you have other questions !
0 Kudos
TorstenKotewitz
New Contributor
Hi all,

I am a bit confused about City Engine:

I bought the Indie version at the end of May 2011 including the Indie Subscription. Am I allowed for the 2011 update? Is Procedural's Indie version now Esri's Basic version? Where can I find information about the improvements in the actual version?

I am very unhappy about the information flow so far and hope to get some answers.

regards
Torsten
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Torsten,

Yes, the Indie version is now the 'CityEngine Basic'.

As an existing customer, you should have been contacted by your local Esri Distributor. (Where are you located ?)

In case it happened that you did not get notified, please find your local Esri Distributor here :
http://www.esri.com/about-esri/locations.html

For more information, please see here :
http://www.esri.com/software/cityengine/index.html

The key features are :

- better Inspector
- improved street tools
- styles (CGA feature)
- improved materials (e.g. display or bump and normal maps, Ambient Occlusion, ...)

If you have a running Subscription, you should be able to upgrade (via Distributor).

Please let me know if this helps you !

Matt
0 Kudos
TorstenKotewitz
New Contributor
Thank you Matthias!

I will contact my local distributor then.
0 Kudos
KathrinSchulte-Braucks
New Contributor III
Where can I find the prize and purchasing options of City Engine (Germany)?

City Engine looks like a product I need for my work.

Thank you

Kathrin
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi there !

then you'll need to contact Esri Germany, they'll help you further.

http://www.esri.de/

Liebe Gruesse nach Deutschland !

Matt
0 Kudos
KathrinSchulte-Braucks
New Contributor III
Hello Matthais,

thank you very much for your answer. I wrote to Esri Germany two weeks ago, but got no answer yet. So maybe anyone here can tell me about educational versions of City engine? 🙂

Thanks,

Kathrin
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Kathrin,

We just pointed Esri Germany to this post here.

Please let me know once the contact is established.

Kind greetings !

Matthias
0 Kudos
KathrinSchulte-Braucks
New Contributor III
Thank you so much, they contacted me at once!
0 Kudos