Export taking very long time

11-07-2013 10:34 PM
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III
I've just upgraded to a fully licenced version of CE 2012 (having previously been using 2011 then a trial version of 2012) and I am trying to export from this fully licenced version for the first time.

The scene is quite simple and it exported with satisfactory haste in previous versions.  I have tried to export a few times, this morning I have been here 45mins and it still says "operation in progress..." and I am still waiting.  CPU Usage is piddling along at 5%, I have closed other programs and rebooted and I am still waiting.

Is there anything I can try to speed this up?
All assets are on my local drive however the licence file is on a network server - does CE look at the licence when exporting?    Other aspects of the program seem to run normally.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Ben,

Getting any error entries ?
What file format are you exporting to ?
How many polygons ?
How many materials approximately ?

Please try to track the issue down layer by layer and rule file by rule file ?

Could be many things, theoretically.
0 Kudos
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III
Well, I can make it work but I'm not any clearer on what is causing the problem - it feels like I have to teach CE how to read my rule file by showing it the file in bite sized pieces.

As per my first post - if I start CE and try to export using the whole rule file it takes very very long time (it took ~6hours to export 1 building)

However, if I comment-out 3/4 of the rule, save all and generate models,
then comment-out 1/2, save all and generate models,
then comment-out 1/4, save all and generate models,
then use the whole rule file save all and generate, my model exports in 1.4 seconds.  If I do it like this it is very quick to export.

I seem to have to do this commenting-out in at least 3 steps (1/3, 2/3, all) but doing it in quarters seems to be quicker.

I will continue to try and specific problem with my code but at the moment I'm at a bit of a loss.  Could it be a caching/memory problem?

...and to answer you questions:
no error entries
exporting to collada
I'm using 25 materials (but I have various case statements that allow for up to 125 different materials)
3144 polygons
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Ben,

That seems odd indeed and should not be an issue.

Can you check the model hierarchy for one of those models ?

Can you create a minimal project on which you can reproduce that behavior and send me the project ? If interested, send me a PM.

Matt
0 Kudos