Define Front of a House

11-28-2011 12:37 AM
CharalamposApostolou
New Contributor II
How can i define which side of the lot is the front? For example if i am on a corner how can i define which will be the front side?
14 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi .. are you working on imported shapes / footprints ? I guess so, right ?
0 Kudos
CharalamposApostolou
New Contributor II
Hi. Yes. I found how. Thanks. I defined it according to the road side.
0 Kudos
LucasSaliba_Santos
New Contributor
hi folks,

Well and if I'm working with imported shapes?... what should I do so it recognizes the street side of the lot?
and if I have corner lot, would it recognizes the both street sides as front sides?

thanks... 😉
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

Since there's no connection possible in CityEngine between Static Shapes (imported) and dynamic streets, the street orientation must be 'manually'.

There's 2 ways :

1]
select each Street Edge by double clicking it > Shapes Menu > Set Street Edges

2]
use my Python script I made some time ago which does that automatically, though that needs CityEngine Advanced. I'll try to find that script again.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

here's the script I made some time ago for this thread on the old forum http://forums.esri.com/CityEngine/forum-40181.html

read the description how to use it.
ErnestoCarreras3
Occasional Contributor

Hi, will this script assist identifying the front of a house?

0 Kudos
AidaAfrooz
New Contributor III

HI Matthias,

I downloaded your python script but am not sure how to use it. I ran it once through console (not sure if that's the correct way of running it) but nothing happened.

Python> run script is inactive. I checked tutorial 10 but still can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

I would like to automatically detect the street frontage for static shapes which are imported from GIS.

Thanks,

Aida

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
here's a little screenshot of a result :

the fat line being the first edge.
0 Kudos
LoringTupper
New Contributor
I've got land parcels in an ESRI Geodatabase polygon layer that I'm trying to genereate models from. The polygons have landuse designation on them and that's about all the attribution there is. The plan is to write CGA rules for each land use and apply it to parcel based on the land use attribute value. That part works but in order to do anything that requires knowing the front/side or back of the shape it appears it needs to know where the street is. I have a road network, also from a geodatabase, but there is no connection between the parcel shape layer and the road network layer. From what I can tell geodatabase layers are not static shapes in CityEngine and the Python scripts you have suggested in this thread that will identify the "street side" of a shape apparently only work with static shapes, is that correct? If so, is there any way for me to indicate what the street side is for my parcels of land shapes that are coming from an ESRI geodatabase? This problem has brought our development to a stand still becuase to develope land use CGA rules we need to take into consideration setback for the front sides and back if parcels and we can't tell where the front is.
0 Kudos