Could I define neighborhood rules in CityEngine?

01-23-2015 09:50 AM
tealli
by
New Contributor

I would like to know whether I could define the neighborhood rules, which means some certain couplings of building rules could be applied in adjacent plots. For instance, if the plot was applied with rule of building type_A, then the plot next to it could be type_B or C, but should not be E and F. It's something like that to define the rules of their neighborhoods depending on what they are themselves. So can I achieve this in CityEngine, and how? Help me. Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

A CGA rule can only be run on a single shape, and those shapes can contain attributes to drive what the rule does (type_A vs type_B). Use either ArcGIS or CityEngine's built-in Python to set attributes on the shapes, then the rules will read those shapes. So yes, that can be done, but is a combination of CGA and others.

Chris

tealli
by
New Contributor

Thanks a bunch Chris. Happy to know that it can be done. But I am quite unfamiliar with python (never used it before) and learn some tutorials and helps after your advice given. Still haven't got a clue. Could you please give me some further help, some examples or simple instructions maybe.

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman
Occasional Contributor III

I agree with Chris.

The python functions settings you want is this one though:

Help -

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos