City Engine advanced 2012.1 alongside ArcGIS 10.2 problems

10-07-2013 11:45 AM
ChristopherZoog
New Contributor II
Why is it so hard to get these two programs licensed on the same machine!?!  We've tried a bunch of different things, including installing 10.1 and 10.2 license servers on different servers, etc, but could somebody please list out the exact steps/setup required?  I'd be very grateful.

(fyi, We have floating licenses for both ArcGis (5 total) and City engine advanced (1 total))

Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos
9 Replies
ChristopherZoog
New Contributor II
Never mind, we finally got it figured out...had to manual create some registry keys, and have both 10.1 and 10.2 License managers running.  Hopefully 2013 will run with the 10.2 license manager.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

glad you found a solution !

was esri support involved ? do they know about the solution ?

lemme know.
0 Kudos
zhuqs
by
New Contributor
Never mind, we finally got it figured out...had to manual create some registry keys, and have both 10.1 and 10.2 License managers running.  Hopefully 2013 will run with the 10.2 license manager.

I also have this problem, and could you tell me how to manual create these registry keys? Many thanks!
0 Kudos
ChristopherZoog
New Contributor II
I also have this problem, and could you tell me how to manual create these registry keys? Many thanks!

Well it turns out it, that it was more than just the keys.  We kept having this problem.  It's turns out DNS for the license checker was not working...

the way we got it to work was to specify the exact IP address and port numbers of server running the license manager, rather then the computer name/domain.  Try that first.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Christopher.

Is Esri support aware of this ? Have you been in contact with them ?

Let me know..

m.
0 Kudos
AnnaSchwabedal
Esri Contributor
Hi all,

it could help if you install the patch http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/186/metaid/1929 which was created for the combination ArcGIS 10.0 / CityEngine 2012. This patch helped in various incidents for the combination ArcGIS 10.2 / CityEngine 2012.
It has to do with the information about which version number is included when authorizing your software - you can check that by opening an authorize.txt.

Compatible versions are:
CityEngine 2011 / ArcGIS 10.0 -> authorize.txt will show "version=10.0"
CityEngine 2012 / ArcGIS 10.1 -> authorize.txt will show "version=10.1"
                      / ArcGIS 10.2 -> authorize.txt will show "version=10.2"

So trying to authorize a CityEngine 2012 on a machine on which ArcGIS 10.2 is installed - it will generate "version=10.2". And that one entry will lead to your observed problems of authorizing CityEngine....

Hope I shed some light into this,
Anna

Esri Germany Technical Support
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Anna,

thanks for helping out here !

matt
0 Kudos
ChristopherZoog
New Contributor II
Hi all,

it could help if you install the patch http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/186/metaid/1929 which was created for the combination ArcGIS 10.0 / CityEngine 2012. This patch helped in various incidents for the combination ArcGIS 10.2 / CityEngine 2012.
It has to do with the information about which version number is included when authorizing your software - you can check that by opening an authorize.txt.

Compatible versions are:
CityEngine 2011 / ArcGIS 10.0 -> authorize.txt will show "version=10.0"
CityEngine 2012 / ArcGIS 10.1 -> authorize.txt will show "version=10.1"
                      / ArcGIS 10.2 -> authorize.txt will show "version=10.2"

So trying to authorize a CityEngine 2012 on a machine on which ArcGIS 10.2 is installed - it will generate "version=10.2". And that one entry will lead to your observed problems of authorizing CityEngine....

Hope I shed some light into this,
Anna

Esri Germany Technical Support

Hi Anna,

We did install that patch but it did not work in our case.  I'm actually having trouble getting a license again, and I think its because I ran ArcGIS 10.2 on Friday, and now on Sunday, I can't get a city engine license again.  This seems to happen every time I use ArcGIS 10.2.  I tend to use city engine much more, but occasionally I need ArcGIS, guess i should just stay away from it for now 😛
I bet you dollars to doughnuts that once i get this city license up and running again, i'll lose it if i run arcGIS.

My ERSI.CONFIG looks fine, i am specifying a port and and IP address of the server (which is up and running) DNS was not working before.  I tried installing the patch again just now, and no dice.  Anything else we should look at??

Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos
ChristopherZoog
New Contributor II
We were able to fix our problem by locating the licensing server 10.1 and 10.2 on different physical servers.  That said I'm still scared to touch ArcGIS10.2 😉
0 Kudos