Trying to create a customized Business Locator Report

09-26-2017 02:47 PM
AaronNepple1
New Contributor III

I am using Business Analyst Online to create a report of Businesses surrounding a point. Out of all of the pre-made reports, the Business Locator is the closest to what I would like to deliver.

Is there a way for me to customize how this report is set up? I would like to limit the scope of the search based on specific NAICS or SIC codes and categorize the report based on those codes. 

Also curious if there is contact info available for businesses in your data.

Thank you in advance for your time.

-Aaron 

14 Replies
DonnaBuhr
Esri Contributor

Hi Aaron,

The Business Locator report lists businesses based on their proximity to the study area location.  The maximum number of businesses displayed on one report is 250 for all business types whose location fails within the area of study.  The report is a predefined Esri template that cannot be customized to filter by a specific business type, or by NAICS or SIC code. 

You might want to try the Business Search feature where the businesses can be refined to a specific business type and filtered by keywords, NAICS or SIC Code for up to 5,000 records.  The business search results can be refined and filtered to a specific study area on the map and can be exported to Excel for further analysis.  The exported business data includes the Business name, NAICS and SIC codes, number of employees, sales volume and address without the street number.    

We are always looking to improve the features and reports in Business Analyst and understanding your specific use case helps us improve the application.  Based on your question, are you needing a void analysis report?  We are evaluating customer interest for this type report and would very much like to know if a void analysis report would be of value to you. 

Thank you for your valuable feedback, and we look forward to hearing from you again.

Donna Buhr

Product Engineer 

Business Analyst Team

AaronNepple1
New Contributor III

Donna,

Many thanks for the reply!. 

Great to know the limitations of the Locator Report. 

Ultimately we would like to be able to search for specific types of business and create a report very similar to the Locator report, but with contact information and categorized by business type. These reports can then accompany other data in a property information report aimed at prospective buyers.

We use the Business Search function for other applications, and that works wonderfully. It would be great to have the option to export that out to a report in addition to excel.

Thanks,

Aaron 

BarbaraOwen
New Contributor

Is it possible to create a Business Search Void Analysis Report? I am trying to create a report to see what businesses are not located in a search area. This would be a big help for our business.

Many thanks!

DonnaBuhr
Esri Contributor

Hi Aaron, 

Thank you for providing your specific use case and needs for the Business Locator report.  This is very helpful information that can be used to improve the report. 

It's good to know that the Business Search function is working well for you and appreciate your suggestion for additional export options.  We will consider this possibility.     

We greatly appreciate your comments and ideas!  Please keep them coming and let us know if you have other suggestions or feedback.

Thanks again,

Donna 

AaronNepple1
New Contributor III

Donna Buhr‌ I do have one more question. 

Is it possible to get the full street address of locations when using the Business and Facilities Search function in BAO? Right now I can get the location pinned, and I get the street it is located on, but not the property number.

Thank you again for your help answering these questions.

DonnaBuhr
Esri Contributor

Hi Aaron,

The full street address of the business location is displayed on the map in the site menu and can be viewed in the Business and Facilities Search results full table view.  However, Esri's agreement with the business data provider does not permit exporting the street number address.  We are interested in your request for the full street address and I will let the data content team know about this request.  

Thank you,

Donna

KieranSmith2
Occasional Contributor

Following up on this, I don't see a Business Locator Report for Canadian data. I also would like to explore the potential of a customisable report of businesses around a specific site location. I currently can do exports into excel but it would be good to have an option of creating a tailored report that I could also include it with other variables, demographics, a map as well.

Thanks,

Kieran

PraveenSrivastava
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Aaron and Kieran,

I am happy to inform you that with the latest release of the Business Analyst Web App, it is possible to create a summary of nearby businesses and customize it (i.e. choose the attributes you want in your summary table, and filter out businesses based on NAICS/SIC codes or other criteria).

This blog provides more information about the latest release: http://bit.ly/2IuNfYu. Detailed information about the new Nearby capability is in this video and documentation. Please check it out and let us know any feedback you have.

We greatly appreciate user feedback and suggestions!  Please keep them coming.

Thank you,

Praveen Srivastava

ArcGIS Business Analyst Team

KieranSmith2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Praveen

Thanks for letting us know. I've had a quick look and it is encouraging so far, this seems very useful. A couple of things I noticed though, firstly can the text in the output table be edited (i.e. change size, font?). And when I ran my first site I chose "Day Care" from the popular list drop down and yet I found many other business types (restaurants) in my output. Is this expected?

Kieran