Interpreting demographic data of Age by Sex in Tapestry Segments

04-23-2019 08:29 AM
JackBoyd
New Contributor III

When reading the Tapestry Profiles, I'm wondering how to interpret the Age by Sex graphic.  For example, in Soccer Moms segment, which includes young families with young children, the Age by Sex graphic appears to show ages of 50-54 with the highest count.  The Median Age of 37 makes sense but was surprised to see the age range so broad in this profile. (attached).  I've noticed other segment profiles have a wider age range than I expected.  Wondering if I'm reading the graphic wrong.  Thanks for any help. 

Tags (1)
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dear Jack,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I’ve attached the 2018 Summary Table, Demographic Profile by LifeMode Group for your review. This document provides demographic data for each of the segments.

Tapestry Segment 4A: Soccer Moms shows the following age distribution:

<18        26.1%

18-44     35.2%

45-64     27.8%

65+        10.9%

The median is a value that divides a distribution into two equal parts. It is a positional measure that is unaffected by extremely high or low values in a distribution that may affect an average.

Just looking at the under 18 and 18-44, they make up over 60% of the population which will shift the median down a bit, in this case to age 37.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Regards, Alice Kavanagh

Esri

akavanagh@esri.com

JackBoyd
New Contributor III

HI Alice,  Thanks for your response.  Was there an additional attachment that I missed?  Looking at the Soccer Mom data you shared, there are 10% of the population age 65 and above, still in the Soccer Mom segment.  That is the number that was surprising to me.  Does this mean that there are 65 year olds that exhibit some of the core behaviors as other 'Soccer Moms'?   Another segment of interest to us is Southern Satellites, where the narrative says older with no children.  In this case Age / Sex graphic shows some members under age of 20, thought a smaller number than Soccer Moms.   Am I right to conclude that age may not as distinguishing of characteristic among segments as other behavioral and other demographic characteristics?  Thanks again for your help. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jack,

Each block group in the country has a dominant Tapestry code assigned to it. This does not mean that every household in a particular block group is of that segment, but that this is the dominant segment.

So yes, you will find a range of ages.

Alice