Select to view content in your preferred language

Completed the 2024 BA data download. I do not see the "Business Analyst - Basemap.lyr"

07-15-2024 05:49 AM
Labels (1)
georgedaigh6
Emerging Contributor

Hi,

Over the weekend I completed the 2024 BA data download. I am not seeing the layer files that came with the 2023 data, in particular the "Business Analyst - Basemap.lyr" that I use daily. Below is a screenshot for reference? Perhaps I missed a step or did Esri do away with these layer files?

Thanks - George

Business Analyst Layers.PNG

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ChristyDeBernardi
Esri Contributor

Hi @georgedaigh6  - I will message you directly to set up a meeting.

0 Kudos
JenMabee
New Contributor

Having some of the same concerns here, as using these individual layers is very important for customizing to our organization's branding guidelines. Are these layers going to be available?

0 Kudos
ChristyDeBernardi
Esri Contributor

Please find more information in this newly published blog. If you still have questions or issues please reach out businessanalyst@esri.comhttps://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/bus-analyst/mapping/customize-a-basemap-arcgis-business-an...

0 Kudos
ChristyDeBernardi
Esri Contributor

@JenMabee @georgedaigh6 For questions regarding customization of the basemap layer please contact me to schedule a meeting with our team at businessanalyst@esri.com

Thank you!

0 Kudos
GISDesignConcepts_Admin
Occasional Contributor

Hello ESRI Community,

I’m reaching out regarding the recent deprecation of the Streets Data Compatibility Pack. My client has been a long-term user of the BA Streets Premium data, relying heavily on its customization features to control the level of detail shown on their maps. They’ve specifically appreciated the ability to toggle detailed streets data on and off and to choose when to display more granular details like additional cities and towns—features that have been crucial for stakeholder presentations.

While I understand that some of these functionalities can be mimicked using the VTPK (Vector Tile Package), I’ve found that it doesn’t offer the same level of control or flexibility, especially when it comes to expanding the view to include more cities and towns as needed. The VTPK solution seems to fall short in scenarios where precise customization is required, leaving my client without a viable alternative.

Could anyone provide clear and actionable guidance on how to achieve similar control with the current offerings? I’m looking for a standardized approach that can be consistently applied rather than the one-off solutions scattered across various posts. Any insights on how to best leverage the existing tools to replicate the detailed customization my client has been accustomed to would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best, John

ChristyDeBernardi
Esri Contributor

Hi John @GISDesignConcepts_Admin For questions regarding customization of the basemap layer please contact me to schedule a meeting with our team at businessanalyst@esri.com

0 Kudos
ChristyDeBernardi
Esri Contributor

Please find more information in this newly published blog. If you still have questions or issues please reach out businessanalyst@esri.com

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/bus-analyst/mapping/customize-a-basemap-arcgis-business-an...

0 Kudos
GISDesignConcepts_Admin
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response, and I appreciate the resources shared.

However, I’d like to clarify the core issue we’re facing regarding the recent transition from the Streets Data Compatibility Pack to the use of VTPKs (Vector Tile Packages). While we understand that tools like the ArcGIS Vector Tile Style Editor (VTSE) offer customization options, they still do not meet our specific needs. I’d like to outline the critical limitations we’ve encountered:

1. Zoom-Level Dependencies: One of the most pressing issues is the inability to display detailed roads, cities, and towns at certain zoom levels, as we were able to with the previous Streets Premium dataset. While VTSE allows for some layer customizations, it does not offer the same granular control over visibility at different scales. In our workflows, there are times when we need to toggle detailed roads on and off at will, but this functionality is constrained by zoom dependencies in VTPKs.
  2. Professional Map Presentation: The core of this challenge is that our clients and stakeholders have come to expect professional maps that can show or hide certain details as necessary, with clean and refined visuals. As seen in the attached images (such as Basemap Sample Detailed Roads Local and Basemap Sample Detailed Roads Census), the vector tiles lack the ability to fully recreate the professional appearance we were achieving with Street Map Premium, particularly when displaying road networks.
    Basemap Sample Detailed Roads Local r1.jpgBasemap Sample Detailed Roads Census.jpg
  3. Layer Control Limitations: The flexibility of turning specific data on and off based on presentation needs, which we had with Street Map Premium, is no longer fully replicable in the current system. Even breaking the basemap into multiple layers does not solve the issue when zoom-level restrictions prevent the display of important map details.

Our Ask: Moving forward, we need consistent, replicable solutions to achieve the same level of professional control that we had with the previous setup. This is critical not only for day-to-day mapping operations but also for delivering results that meet stakeholder expectations.

Can Esri provide a clear path or alternative that resolves these visibility and customization issues? Additionally, is there a way to maintain control over zoom dependencies within vector tiles or alternative methods that would provide the same functionality as the now-deprecated Streets Data Compatibility Pack?

We are eager to hear more on how we can implement a solution that will not disrupt our existing workflows and continue delivering high-quality results.

@ChristyDeBernardi  @HelenThompson  

0 Kudos