Add Legend to Map in Custom Report

Jump to solution
12-08-2022 09:08 AM
ChrisMyers_NewQuest
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 

I would like to know if it is possible to have a legend added to a map that has been placed in a custom report? I am building a custom report on Business Analyst Web App, and I have a page that I've placed a map item. I've added a layer to the map item. However, when I run the report for a site, there is no legend on the map, which makes it much less meaningful. I cannot figure out a way to add this feature. 

Please see screenshot. 

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chris,

I'm happy to answer.

1. We believe infographics are the future and we are focusing most of our development there to add more report functionalities to useful to our customers. However, we are always open to listen to our customer's feedback and you can submit your enhancement ideas here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-business-analyst-ideas/idb-p/arcgis-business-analyst-ideas

With regards to adding a legend in classic reports, the request also came from other customers so we are already tracking it internally as a future enhancement. 

2. Yes, infographics have the same level of support for data enrichment using custom variables and interacting with tables. We actually have several examples you can take a look under the infographics gallery showing you how you can create reports with advanced tables.

FasilTiru_0-1670535901796.png

For example, you can see the various tables on the second page of the Coronavirus Impact Planning template. 

FasilTiru_1-1670536065415.png

Here is another example called Disposable Income Profile from the infographics gallery we built using build infographics workflow:

FasilTiru_2-1670536384440.png

I have attached this sample template below so you can explore how to create compelling tabular reports using infographics. 

After extracting, you can import this sample templates (.brpt files) by going to Build Infographics > + Add template > Add template from file. 

FasilTiru_3-1670537099308.png

I hope this helps,

Fasil T.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @ChrisMyers_NewQuest

I recommend building your report using infographics as it already provide much more functionality including legends.

FasilTiru_0-1670528662364.png

Your legend will appear as follows:

FasilTiru_1-1670529005067.png

Currently, we don't have a legend option in classic reports but we will consider it as an enhancement request for the future. 

Best regards,

Fasil T.

Business Analyst Team

ChrisMyers_NewQuest
Occasional Contributor

Hi Fasil, thanks very much for the feedback. I've received similar feedback to some other questions regarding the functionality of report-building, and I understand that infographics have more functionality and are flashier. So two follow up questions, if you don't mind: 

1) Are there plans to continue to enhance the report-building features, or are those being replaced by infographics? I do wish the the report builder had even the simplest legend function on the map item... How can I go about logging an enhancement request? 

2) Does the infographic-builder have the same level of detail for calculating custom variables and interacting with the data in tables? I ask about tables specifically because I have some clients that simply prefer a tabular view of reports... taking all the functionality of infographics, would you say that I'd be able to replicate and report within an infographic? 

Thanks! 

Chris 

0 Kudos
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chris,

I'm happy to answer.

1. We believe infographics are the future and we are focusing most of our development there to add more report functionalities to useful to our customers. However, we are always open to listen to our customer's feedback and you can submit your enhancement ideas here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-business-analyst-ideas/idb-p/arcgis-business-analyst-ideas

With regards to adding a legend in classic reports, the request also came from other customers so we are already tracking it internally as a future enhancement. 

2. Yes, infographics have the same level of support for data enrichment using custom variables and interacting with tables. We actually have several examples you can take a look under the infographics gallery showing you how you can create reports with advanced tables.

FasilTiru_0-1670535901796.png

For example, you can see the various tables on the second page of the Coronavirus Impact Planning template. 

FasilTiru_1-1670536065415.png

Here is another example called Disposable Income Profile from the infographics gallery we built using build infographics workflow:

FasilTiru_2-1670536384440.png

I have attached this sample template below so you can explore how to create compelling tabular reports using infographics. 

After extracting, you can import this sample templates (.brpt files) by going to Build Infographics > + Add template > Add template from file. 

FasilTiru_3-1670537099308.png

I hope this helps,

Fasil T.

ChrisMyers_NewQuest
Occasional Contributor

Since there is no current work around for adding a legend to map in a custom report (besides using infographics instead), my current workaround is to build a legend my hand and place on the map as a floating image:

report map with legend.PNG

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos