Select to view content in your preferred language

2016-2020 ACS Data Not Available for Custom Variables

Jump to solution
09-12-2022 11:57 AM
ArielLow2146
Frequent Contributor

I'd like to calculate a custom variable for a table in my infographic. 

In the standard variable search when I search English I'm able to see the ACS language spoken at home variables.

ArielLow2146_1-1663009050452.png

When I go to create a custom variable and search English the ACS data doesn't show up. Is this expected?

ArielLow2146_0-1663008976470.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CherylHagevik
Esri Contributor

Hi @ArielLow2146, thank you for reaching out with this question. Some variables, including ACS data for all 50 states and the District of Columbia, are not available for creating custom variables. This is as designed to help ensure the quality of calculated variables. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
CherylHagevik
Esri Contributor

Hi @ArielLow2146, thank you for reaching out with this question. Some variables, including ACS data for all 50 states and the District of Columbia, are not available for creating custom variables. This is as designed to help ensure the quality of calculated variables. 

ArielLow2146
Frequent Contributor

Hi @CherylHagevik. Thanks for that information! What is confusing to me is I'm able to see custom variables with ACS data when adding panels from some of the templates available. If the variables are not available to help ensure quality why are they used in calculations in the templates?

For example, when I add a panel from another template, choose the At Risk Population Profile, and then add the Language spoken table.

ArielLow2146_0-1663179253466.png

Then when I go to edit the table and select the bottom most row in the Total column it appears to be a custom variable with ACS data.

ArielLow2146_1-1663179388980.png

0 Kudos
CherylHagevik
Esri Contributor

Thank you for explaining your additional question @ArielLow2146. In this situation with the At Risk Population infographic template, the simple variable calculation you are seeing is accomplished through the settings within the table itself. The cells in the row are summed to the column labeled Total. When designing tables for infographics, you can select multiple cells using the shift key and then use the Caclulate totals tab to add a row or column summing or averaging the selected variable values.

CherylHagevik_0-1663187025028.png

I hope this explanation helps and please feel free to let me know if you have questions about any of the other Standard templates for infographics.