Select to view content in your preferred language

Tile layer loads in Map Viewer Classic but not new Map Viewer

02-09-2023 02:09 PM
Labels (2)
Wei-HsinFu
New Contributor III

The tile layer properly  loads in Map Viewer Classic, but fails to load in the new Map Viewer. Properties of the map service layer printed from line 7 is attached.

from arcgis.gis import GIS
from arcgis.mapping import WebMap
from arcgis.mapping import MapServiceLayer
gis = GIS("home")

map_service_layer = MapServiceLayer(url='https://tiles.arcgis.com/tiles/ULBqC49IEeIR01GF/arcgis/rest/services/BH250-12_PPL/MapServer')
map_service_layer.properties

rockMap = WebMap()
rockMap.add_layer(map_service_layer)
rockMap_item_properties = {'title':'BH250-12bTest7',
                          'snippet':'Map displaying the XPL (Crossed Polarized Light) and PPL (Plain Polarized Light) scan images of the rock thin section for sample BH250-12b.',
                          'tags':['Rock', 'Thin Section']}

rockMap.save(rockMap_item_properties)

5 Replies
Clubdebambos
Occasional Contributor III

I have replicated the same issue. I have added a layer to a webmap as an Item, FeatureLayer, and a VectorTileLayer and get the same result. It opens fine in Classic Viewer but does not it New Map Viewer. Seems like a bug?

Clubdebambos_0-1676021804855.png

Code used below

from arcgis.gis import GIS
from arcgis.mapping import WebMap
from arcgis.mapping import VectorTileLayer

agol = GIS("home")

item = agol.content.get("967281ab07aa4dfc912abedfa5da8a53")
##lyr = item.layers[0]
##vtl = VectorTileLayer.fromitem(item)

rockMap = WebMap()
rockMap.add_layer(item)
##rockMap.add_layer(lyr)
##rockMap.add_layer(vtl)
rockMap_item_properties = {'title':'BH250-12bTest7',
                          'snippet':'Map displaying the XPL (Crossed Polarized Light) and PPL (Plain Polarized Light) scan images of the rock thin section for sample BH250-12b.',
                          'tags':['Rock', 'Thin Section']}

rockMap.save(rockMap_item_properties)

~ learn.finaldraftmapping.com
0 Kudos
fuxx0010
New Contributor

Thank you for letting me know. I've contacted Esri technical support about it. Will let you know what they say.

0 Kudos
GB_MattPanunto_GISS
Occasional Contributor II

@fuxx0010  did you hear back from tech support? I am experiencing the same issue:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-api-for-python-questions/vector-tile-layers-not-loading-in-new-...

0 Kudos
Wei-HsinFu
New Contributor III

Hi,

The Esri tech support I worked with eventually logged it as a bug in late February. 

BUG-000156142 Raster tile layer doesn't render in New Map Viewer, when creating a WebMap and using Add_layer from python notebook

There is a workaround for the bug in the bug page below. I hope the workaround works for you. It does not work for us/does not make sense for our workflow.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/bug/a-raster-tile-layer-does-not-render-in-map-viewer-when-bug-000156...

Wei-Hsin

GB_MattPanunto_GISS
Occasional Contributor II

@Wei-HsinFu , thanks very much for that info! Good to confirm that it is a bug. That workaround doesn't help me either.

0 Kudos