How to use jupyter notebooks with ArcMap 10.5 (no ArcGIS Pro license)?

Jump to solution
10-15-2020 08:22 AM
NadineGärtner
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I think I got a rather basic question but can´t find any answer to that.

I want to use a jupyter notebook in order to run my ArcMap-workflow. For now, I call the routine from the Python window of the ArcMap Desktop 10.5 and process everything right there but I would prefer having a step by step output in a jupyter notebook.

I'd like to run different geoprocessing tools, and use arcpy, as well as visualizing the produced maps but also use other python libraries like numpy etc.

It seems to be quite easy in ArcGIS Pro but I don't seem to understand how it works with ArcMap. I usually use jupyter notebooks/jupyter lab through my miniconda prompt.

Could anyone please point me to a useful site for instructions? 

I'd be very happy for any help!

Nadine

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There are no instructions because it isn't possible.  Jupyter notebook integration/support wasn't introduced until ArcGIS Pro, and it was never backported to ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There are no instructions because it isn't possible.  Jupyter notebook integration/support wasn't introduced until ArcGIS Pro, and it was never backported to ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap.

NadineGärtner
New Contributor

Hey Joshua,

thank you so much for your answer. I kinda feared that this might be the case but wasn't able to find any information on that myself.

0 Kudos