ArcGIS Pro for GIS Student

11-11-2019 04:38 PM
Labels (4)
clintboaz
New Contributor

I am relatively new to GIS.  I have been using it for about 1.5 years for work managing data and making maps for a field crew.  I recently decided to pursue a graduate certificate in GIS from a local university.  My current laptop is out of date for ArcGIS Pro which they are using.  I have been reading up on different configurations and models of laptops but nothing is jumping out at me as the right answer.  I am looking to spend under $2000, but want something that will last at least 5 years and run smoothly (I do not imagine I will be working with unusually large data sets...).  I have noticed a lot of people talking about the Dell Precision and XPS 15 laptops although some gaming laptops, Asus in particular, seem much more affordable.  This may be asking a lot, but any recommendations from this community having much more knowledge and experience than myself would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanielAmrine
Occasional Contributor

Clint,

I have one similar to this" https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-in-1-15-6-4k-ultra-hd-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-mem... 

It was $1800 when i bought mine 2 years ago. It works well and runs everything ESRI has to offer, plus sketchup and other memory intensive software. I did have to take it back to best buy because the hard drive failed within the first week of owning it. But having the touchscreen and being able to use it like a tablet is really useful. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Clint - as an Esri Instructor, we use the Dell 5285 2-1 Tablet for teaching most of our classes.  Performance is good for ArcGIS Pro and most other Esri softwares.  I would not use it for an ArcGIS Enterprise Base Deployment though.  Overall, I like it.

0 Kudos
ChrisCatania
Esri Community Team

Hi Clint, Welcome and thanks for joining GeoNet!  I noticed that you posted this question in two other spaces. Generally we advise to just post your question in one space and "share" the post into other spaces so there's not multiple conversation going on. Here's a doc on how to share a post.  I'm going to delete the other two posts in the other Education and YPN spaces and then share this post into them for you. Thanks again for joining us and here's a link to the GeoNet Resource Hub where you can find other tips and guides.  

Michelle Mathias

Leslie Fountain

Raquel Perez

Wilson Parnell

Rosemary Boone

Esri Community Strategist
0 Kudos
jamemax
New Contributor

Gift coupon and card redeem and provide the financial help in daily life it guide hoe to use and find gift card and coupon

0 Kudos