Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I export from GIS to DWG at true scale

10-13-2020 02:19 PM
CaraO_Brien
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to export from ArcGIS Pro to DWG.  I am able to export all the layers I need by using Tools, Conversion Tools, To CAD, Export to CAD, but when I open the DWG file in AutoCAD the data isn't to true scale.  I'm not sure if this is a CAD units issue or GIS export issue, but I'm getting batty looking at it.  Any help would be so much appreciated!

Thanks,

Cara

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AAshford47
New Contributor II

I am learning this software too and have the same issue. Mine seems less messed up - as i only have to scale the cad file 12x. I'm ok with that workaround but it seems like the export should offer options in unit export settings from decimal feet to architectural feet and inches for CAD. I did however make sure that both my ESRI file coordinate system and AutoCAD are using the same or similar coordinate system. I'm on the south east part of florida, so my coordinate system is FL83-EF in AutoCAD and in ArcGIS Pro it is set as NAD 1983 HARN StatePlane Florida East FIPS 0901 (US Feet), I believe those are the same compatible coordinate systems from ESRI to AutoCAD.

Please tell me if im wrong though!

Here is a link on coordinate systems. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/properties/specify-a-coordinate-system.htm

It would be nice that the export is equal 1 to 1 from ESRI to CAD, but as i understand it, civil engineers that work in CAD are always in decimal units, not architectural. For 30 years i have been scaling my civil engineers background drawings up by 12x.

0 Kudos