Does the Alias street name or alternate table need to include a shape?

08-31-2020 09:53 AM
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

I tried everything. I have a table with a common id field and can't get it work. Thinking about creating another centerline dataset to include the shape. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
30 Replies
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

I do have SR 4 as a street name in my primary table. I use the outside of the my city limits. All State Routes within the our city limits I'm using alpha characters. Is this a problem?  

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chet:

When you build the locator do you map the same address component fields in the primary as you do in the alternate name table? In the screenshot you posted on the 9th it looks like the alternate name table only has 'Street Name' mapped. The same number of address component fields need to be mapped in both the primary and alternate name tables in order for the alternate name table to work when using the Create Address Locator tool to build the locator, because having a miss match causes the join not to work. If you only mapped 'StreetName' and 'StreetType' in the primary and only 'AltName' in the alternate name table the join will not work, thus the alternate name table won't work. You would need to map StreetType in the alternate name table as well.

I would also try to create the same locator in the Create Locator tool using the StreetAddress role and try to transition your locators to the new locators in ArcGIS Pro as 2.6 is the last release that the Create Address Locator tool will be available in Pro.

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Okay I modified the table and data.. Still never returned the alias.

The first image is SR 73 @ N Breiel and is correct... Using the Primary table street name. The second image I tried using the alias N Verity Pkwy @ N Breiel and no result.. As shown in Cyan in the table view..

Second image using an alias..

I realize a match must be created. In this case only thing in common is the IDs.. Yes there are two fields containing numeric IDs.. I just copied and renamed the field when I modified table.. Same format.. The RED centerline contains the Primary data as shown. (SR 73 Hwy ID 800)

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chet:

Is the result you are getting from a locator built with Create Address Locator tool or Create Locator tool?  If you use the Create Locator tool, there are some additional settings in the properties to account for alternate street name, Additional tuning options—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation. It would be helpful to see the field mapping in the tool for the primary and alternate table.

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Hopefully you see something..

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

This locator is not returning anything correctly.. 

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chet:

The problem is as I described above where  you don't have the same address component fields mapped in the primary as you do in the alternate name table (NIM102407). In the primary you have 'STREETNAME' and 'STREETTYPE' mapped, but in the alternate name table you have 4 address components mapped... prefix direction, prefix type, street name, and suffix type. You need to have the same number of component fields mapped in both primary and alternate name table.

The ones in red need to be mapped in the Primary table, the values can be empty.

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Thanks for all your help... I finally called tech support.. We did a screen share and he didn't see anything that caught his eye... I sent him my files for review.. 

thanks again..

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chet:

If you add Street Prefix Direction and Street Prefix Type in the field mapping for Primary table it will match the same field mapping you have in the alternate name table, you should get results when searching for the alternate names in the alternate name table. The problem you are encountering is a known bug, NIM102407, which you can search for on the support site.

-Shana

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

I have configure the locator 100 times or more using different combinations... I did get it to accept an address using the alias names but returned the point in way outside the range. But it was the correct street..    

Primary inputs

Again this was the last configuration..

0 Kudos