Create Address Locator With Alt Names

Jump to solution
07-15-2019 08:42 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I am trying to create a Dual Range address locator using center lines  with an alternate names table in ArcGIS 10.6.1 as well as ArcGIS Pro 2.4.  Neither of them work for me.  I am successful when I use the Pro 2.4 Create Locator tool and provide the exact same data in the appropriate roles.  

Anyone else have this issue?

Shana Britt

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
12 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Michael-  We currently work with 10.5, 10.6.1 and ArcGIS Pro (2.3 +) so I didn't consider anything earlier. As you know, in my former employment all I did was create locators in  earlier versions; it's been a couple of years since I've done anything with locators, and like so many skills if you don't use it, you lose it!

When things started to come apart  for me, I wondered that maybe some new functionality had been introduced so I'm really glad Shana Britt stepped in to clear things up. (Many thanks again Shana!) We've got a python script that creates a number of various locators including a composite that glues them together: my assignment is to examine the processes that script carries out and make any modifications I see fit. (For example, I put the nix on an intersection points locator in favor of just using our centerlines with intersection operands).  I'm particularly interested in the Create Locators  approach in Pro as they seem to be the next big thing in geocoding, so as they evolve, our geocoding will as well...

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe:

Glad to hear that you nixed the intersection point locator for a centerline based locator. The new locators created with the Create Locator tool has improvements for intersections with the StreetAddress role. I would also encourage you to create a single multirole locator with the Create Locator tool in Pro instead of a composite to stitch together multiple locators. If you create a multirole locator, either manually create it then export the tool results to a Python script from the History tab of the Catalog pane; or build a model in Model Builder that can be rerun when reference data changes and you only have to map the fields once.There are some cases where you might need to create a composite like if it is a landmark or point of interest locator and you have multiple geometry types and need to use the same role, like POI for instance. If you are using the General - Single Field or General - Gazetteer style to create a locator with the Create Address Locator tool, you can create the same locator with the Create Locator tool using the POI role and make use of your own categories that can be used for searching specific categories or to limit the search to specific categories, similar to the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Shana.  This is just the kind of thing we are hoping to hear with the new locators. I'll  start another thread if I encounter any road blocks and/or share my successes.