Composite Address Locator, Map New Field

04-11-2019 09:33 AM
CaseyVannoy
New Contributor

I'm trying to create a composite address locator for a statewide dataset with each of the individual locators using a different set of road name fields.  The other fields I have set up in the individual locators are the address ranges, postal community, which I'm using as the city or place name, and the county name.  All of that works fine in the individual locators.  The problem I am having is adding the county name to the composite locator.  I can add "COUNTY" to the Field Map, but it will not let me add the field name from the individual locators.  The "Map new field" option would seemingly be the way to go, but it is grayed out.  I've also tried adding it thru the "Add Input Field" but the "OK" button grays out when I try to do this. Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

What version of ArcMap are you using?

In the individual locators is county name field in the reference data mapped to the County field from the locator style when using the Create Address Locator tool?

Are you trying to use county name as input to be used to find address candidates?

Do you have access to ArcGIS Pro 2.3?

When you create a locator with the Create Address Locator tool and select a locator style there is a locator field for county that you can mapped to your reference data. This field is not used for matching addresses, it is only returned as part of the output or geocode result as additional info that is part of the matched candidate. Since County is not part of the input of the individual locator, it does not have anything to map to when you add the new field.

If you have access to Tech Support, it may be better to share your locators with them to see the field mapping of the individual locators and styles.

0 Kudos
CaseyVannoy
New Contributor

I am trying to build this in ArcGIS 10.7.  We do not use Pro as it does not create the tile packages we need for our mapping software.  

Yes, the individual locators were built using address ranges, road names, postal community (mapped to the area or placename), and county (mapped to the county fields in the locator).  This is using the US Addresses Dual Ranges locator style.

Yes, the county name would need to be an input when searching for address candidates.  As this is a statewide dataset, address range, road name, and postal community might not be enough to uniquely identify a given address.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Casey:

Since you are using 10.7 to create the locators, the county field is not used for matching the address, it is returned as additional output information for the matched candidate. You could probably get away with mapping CO_NAME to the state fields from the locator style. Otherwise, the best option is to use the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 to create a locator that would use county as input for matching addresses to candidates and not just for additional output in the geocode result.

Is it not possible for you to use Pro just for locator creation? The locators created with the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro will allow you to return suggestions with valid house numbers locally and as a service in web applications.

0 Kudos
CaseyVannoy
New Contributor

Unfortunately, my organization is not going to justify the expense of purchasing Pro just to create address locators.  We would still need Desktop to create the map and tile packages our proprietary software needs so the one-time switch from Desktop to Pro is also not an option.  Thank you for answering my post.  Having an answer, even if its not the one I wanted, is very helpful.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

If you have an ArcGIS Desktop license (or licenses), you already have ArcGIS Pro - it is part of the ArcGIS Desktop suite of applications.

https://www.esri.com/en-us/store/arcgis-desktop

It is a matter of installing it and either authorizing the default Named User, or converting the Named User to a Single Use or Concurrent Use license depending on what Desktop licensing you've purchased.

Getting Started help is here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/get-started.htm and you can navigate to specific details about authorizing Named User vs. converting licenses through the panel on the left. 

Oh, and you can have ArcGIS Pro installed side-by-side on the same (64-bit) machine as ArcMap.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
CaseyVannoy
New Contributor

I downloaded Pro and its asking me for a named user to login.  When I use my ArcGIS online account login, it says it cannot be used because it is a public account.  I also see where I can convert my ArcGIS license to a named user license.  Will converting my ArcGIS license to a named user license still allow me access to both applications or will that lock me out of ArcGIS?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

So, do you have an ArcGIS Online organization activated (not a public account, but an organization account)?

Where do you see that you can convert a license to Named User?  I'm not familiar with that as normally your Pro license would be Named User by default, associated with the ArcGIS Online organization account.

It might be worth getting in touch with customer service or technical support to make sure you can get Pro going.

0 Kudos