Workflow from Google Sketchup to Portal for ArcGIS

08-28-2019 01:06 PM
JohnHewitt3
New Contributor II

I would like to publish some Sketchup models into my Portal fro ArcGIS and would like some guidance on the recommended workflow.

I've...

1. Exported the 3D models from Google Sketchup to KMZ

2. In ArcGIS Pro, imported the KMZ files and ran the 'KML to Layer' GP Task on them

All good so far (and even geo-referenced)

Now I want to publish to Portal for ArcGIS. I'd really appreciate the recommended workflow.

Thanks in advance,

John

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JayMukherjee
New Contributor III

john, this is a bit off-topic.   you mentioned going from sketchup to arcpro via kml/kmz.  i am trying to go the other way:  i have multipatch buildings that folks in my office want to import into sketchup.  when i go from multipatch to collada, then into sketchup, the geometry is there but i lose the georeferencing and scale of the buildings.  any thoughs?  have gone the other way before?

0 Kudos
ImranKhan_P
New Contributor III

John Hewitt‌,

In order to publish three-dimensional data(multipatches) to your Portal it must be configured with ArcGIS Data Store and have a tile cache data store to publish hosted scene layers using multipatch data.

I consider that you have a Base Deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise in place and consists of the following:

1. ArcGIS Server, licensed as ArcGIS GIS Server Standard or ArcGIS GIS Server Advanced and configured as the hosting server for your portal.
  2. Portal for ArcGIS.
  3. ArcGIS Data Store, configured as a relational and tile cache data store.
  4. Two installations of ArcGIS Web Adaptor, one installation for traffic to your ArcGIS Enterprise portal and another for traffic to your hosting server.

You can follow the below documented steps to publish the Multipatch data to your portal

• Add the Portal to your ArcGIS Pro by navigating Project --> Portals --> Add Portal and make it as a Active Portal.
  • Create a new Pro Project and add the data which you would like to publish to portal.
  • With the data being added in a Pro project change the View to Global or Local Scene.
  • Upon adding the multipatch data to your project, you can follow either of the following two options to publish your data to the portal

Option 1: Publish from an ArcGIS Pro scene as a Web Scene

Option 2: Publish from a Scene Layer Package - Create a Scene Layer Package(.slpk), Add the file to your Portal and publish it as a Scene Service.

0 Kudos