Select to view content in your preferred language

Where in the command �??Create TIN from feature�?� in ArcGIS 10?

03-03-2011 01:49 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Where in the command �??Create TIN from feature�?� in ArcGIS 10?

Please, see the attached image that shows my question

Why the command �??Create TIN from feature�?� is not in the toolbox? or even in the pull down minue as in ArcGIS 9?

Thank you
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

Please provide specific examples and I can provide comments/history.

Thanks,
Eric

Many thanks Eric.

Just as a simple example:

What is the equivalent command to "Export Data" in the ArcToolbox?

I think we all need to have all the commands to be in the ArcToolbox WITH EXACTLY THE SAME NAME.

regards

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Jamal,

I was hoping to keep this specific to either 3D or Spatial Analyst, but I'll run with what you've provided.  The Export Data dialog has several equivalent geoprocessing tools.  Because of this, it can't have the exact same name as a single tool in ArcToolbox.  The raster > Data > Export Data dialog provides the following capabilities.

• Converting your input raster to another format

• Projecting your raster to another coordinate system

• Changing the cell size of your raster

• Clipping a raster dataset

• Sub setting a raster dataset with more than 3 bands, so that you just get the 3 bands being displayed. e.g. Converting 7 band landsat to 3 band landsat

• Permanently applying a stretch to an image (No single equivalent GP tool because it needs the renderer information to do this.)

In ArcToolbox you would use these tools to mimic the Export Raster Data dialog.

• Copy Raster

• Project Raster

• Resample

• Clip

• Composite Bands

• Make Raster Layer

The export dialog is more of an interactive user experience and while GP can be run from the Desktop, it is often run via scripting.  There is no way we would make a single GP tool with all of the possible parameters that could be called from the export dialog. 

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

I was hoping to keep this specific to either 3D or Spatial Analyst, but I'll run with what you've provided.  The Export Data dialog has several equivalent geoprocessing tools.  Because of this, it can't have the exact same name as a single tool in ArcToolbox.  The raster > Data > Export Data dialog provides the following capabilities.

• Converting your input raster to another format

• Projecting your raster to another coordinate system

• Changing the cell size of your raster

• Clipping a raster dataset

• Sub setting a raster dataset with more than 3 bands, so that you just get the 3 bands being displayed. e.g. Converting 7 band landsat to 3 band landsat

• Permanently applying a stretch to an image (No single equivalent GP tool because it needs the renderer information to do this.)

In ArcToolbox you would use these tools to mimic the Export Raster Data dialog.

• Copy Raster

• Project Raster

• Resample

• Clip

• Composite Bands

• Make Raster Layer

The export dialog is more of an interactive user experience and while GP can be run from the Desktop, it is often run via scripting.  There is no way we would make a single GP tool with all of the possible parameters that could be called from the export dialog. 

Regards,
Eric

Thank you Eric for the elaboration. this is quite helpful.

what if we need to "Export Data" for a vector layer (polygons not Raster)?

what is the equivalent tool in the ArcToolbox?

regards

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Jamal,

There are several tools for vector data also.  These include:

Copy Features
Feature Class to Feature Class
Project

and I am sure there are a couple more I am missing.

Patrick
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

Please provide specific examples and I can provide comments/history.

Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric,

hope this post finds you well.

other exmaples why the arcGIS is confusing:

- the command "Explode" has two different names (screenshot 1)
- the command planarize doesn't exist on the toolbox (screenshot 2)

what do you think?

all the best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Jamal,

I think you have legitimate points with these two examples although we've deviated quite a bit from anything to do with the deprecation of the 3d toolbar tools. I discussed this thread with the User Advocacy Group and highlighted a number of your concerns/examples.  They will be sure to discuss with the respective teams involved.  My guess at what happened is the Explode UI command was in the software, then at some later date there was a need to automate the functionality, and another team created the GP tool and named it something different than the UI command.  Just my hunch.  Nonetheless, I see how it can create confusion.

The Planarize Lines command does actually have some GP tools that do the same.  For example, Feature to Line can be used to split the lines at intersections.  Depending on whether or not you preserve attributes you will retain the overlapping line segments (preserving keeps overlap).  There is also a simple model that could be built that would incorporate Intersect (output type points), Split Line at Point, and Delete Identical (using Shape field).  Feature to Line works on more than just line input which is probably why it's not called Planarize Lines event though it can do the same thing. At the very least, searching on the word Planarize should return better results.  I will submit a NIM to the team so that additional tags are added to the Feature to Line tool for search purposes.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
FranzLeonardo
Occasional Contributor

" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkF9qZfU584[/video]
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

I think you have legitimate points with these two examples although we've deviated quite a bit from anything to do with the deprecation of the 3d toolbar tools. I discussed this thread with the User Advocacy Group and highlighted a number of your concerns/examples.  They will be sure to discuss with the respective teams involved.  My guess at what happened is the Explode UI command was in the software, then at some later date there was a need to automate the functionality, and another team created the GP tool and named it something different than the UI command.  Just my hunch.  Nonetheless, I see how it can create confusion.

The Planarize Lines command does actually have some GP tools that do the same.  For example, Feature to Line can be used to split the lines at intersections.  Depending on whether or not you preserve attributes you will retain the overlapping line segments (preserving keeps overlap).  There is also a simple model that could be built that would incorporate Intersect (output type points), Split Line at Point, and Delete Identical (using Shape field).  Feature to Line works on more than just line input which is probably why it's not called Planarize Lines event though it can do the same thing. At the very least, searching on the word Planarize should return better results.  I will submit a NIM to the team so that additional tags are added to the Feature to Line tool for search purposes.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best,
Eric

Hi Eric,

this just to provide more examples regarding the inconsistency in the ArcGIS.

When the ArcGIS will be free of these problems?

1. Having different names for the same command!

Example, �??import�?�

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15844[/ATTACH]

2. Missing some commands on the toolbox! And then how to get the benefit of the model builder?
Example: �??new network dataset�?�

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15845[/ATTACH]

3. Commands that doesn�??t respect the mask

Examples�?�: multiple ring buffer, create thiessian polygon

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15846[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]15847[/ATTACH]

4. Commands that doesn�??t respect the mask unless an internal setting are applied

Examples: create tin, topo to raster,

5. The ArcGIS doesn�??t keep showing the name of the extent layer! Each time we go to the extent we got confused about which layer is set to the extent since the arcgis gives �??as specified below�?� instead of showing the name of the layer!!!!

cont. for screenshots (as the system doesn't allow attaching more than 5 images!)

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
KathrinSchulte-Braucks
New Contributor III
Another for name confusions: Merge in the Editor Toolbar and Merge in the Data Management Toolbox.
0 Kudos
IsabellaPartin
New Contributor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29773[/ATTACH]

I realize this is a long dead thread, but for those of you who still might be interested:
"Create TIN from Features" is still available in its original form and under it's original name if you add it to the 3D Analyst toolbar using customize, commands tab, 3D Analyst, then drag and drop the "Create TIN From Features" button onto your 3D Analyst toolbar.

Here's my question, how do I use Create TIN From Features in Modelbuilder?

Thanks,
Belle
0 Kudos