Transfer z values from DEM to the vertices of polygons

Jump to solution
12-19-2018 03:57 AM
KatharinaHeider
New Contributor

Hi there,

I have a cataster map and a DEM. Step 1 is to transfer the z values of the DEM to the vertices of the polygons in the cadaster map. The second step to calculate the standard deviation of the vertices per polygon (the z values from the DEM).

In order to achieve sep 1: I interpolated the z values with the DEM using the interpolate shape tool of the 3D Analyst. Now I can see that the z values are transfered to the vertices in ArcScene but how can I work with these values in order to calculate the standard deviation?

I hope somebody has an answer

Best,

Katharina

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KatharinaHeider
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply, Adrian!

However, the problem was that the z-values were not in the attribute table and only visible in ArcScene.

But I figured out a work around:

1) Convert the polygon vertices to points (tool: feature vertices to points)

2) Enable 3D of new point data set using DEM (tool: interpolate shape)

3) Add z-values to attribute table of new point data set (tool: add z information)

4) Calculate standard deviation per polygon in a new table (tool: summary statistics)

5) Join table to original polygon data set

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Katharina,

Can you use the Spatial Statistics toolbar to calculate the standard deviation?

Statistical analysis—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
KatharinaHeider
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply, Adrian!

However, the problem was that the z-values were not in the attribute table and only visible in ArcScene.

But I figured out a work around:

1) Convert the polygon vertices to points (tool: feature vertices to points)

2) Enable 3D of new point data set using DEM (tool: interpolate shape)

3) Add z-values to attribute table of new point data set (tool: add z information)

4) Calculate standard deviation per polygon in a new table (tool: summary statistics)

5) Join table to original polygon data set

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing that! It looks like it's all solved. Nice workaround and use of tools too!

0 Kudos