ArcScene 10.1 near non-functional with TIN (face elevation)

07-30-2012 10:28 AM
MikeFutrell
New Contributor
ArcScene: I upgraded 10 to 10.1 and now TINs are virtually non-functional when symbolizing by face elevation. TINS of even just a few faces, created in 9.x, 10, or 10.1, give that all familiar "Not Responding" for minutes then does not display correctly. Forget about turning the model. Symbolizing by wireframe, aspect, or slope seems to work ok (but elevation is 99% of use). In 10.0 even my large TINs worked fine. So now I have a lot of broken non-functional work. Even simple v10.0 SXD files won't even open!! [no other hardware/software changes were made]

Anyone else experiencing this? Do I need to roll back to 10.0?
Thank you,
Mike
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
44 Replies
JørnKristiansen
Esri Contributor
Hi there Prasanta.

Here is the information on my graphics card:
-I'm using a XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 graphics card
-The driver date is 07/27/2012
-And driver version 8.982.0.0

Thanks for looking into my problem.

-Jorn
0 Kudos
BenHaas
New Contributor
I am also having this problem, but I cannot get direct customer support because I have a student license.

I am running:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 processor (3.2 GHz)
ATI Radeon 5750 (7/27/2012 driver update)
16gb DDR3 1333 RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
0 Kudos
PrasantaBhattarai
Esri Contributor
Thank you all for providing information about your hardware.
This issue seems to be affecting only the ATI graphics cards. We have now been able to recreate this issue in Support using an ATI graphics card, and have logged a defect for this behavior in ArcScene 10.1. The reference number and subject line for this bug are as follows:

[#NIM085208  In machines with ATI Graphic Cards,  ArcScene freezes or takes very long to display a TIN surface as face elevation with graduated color ramp.]

This bug is now being looked at by our development team, and they will take further action as necessary to address this issues as soon as possible. We apologize on any inconvenience that this issue might cause on your work flow and thank you again for bringing this issue to our attention.

Regards,
Prasanta.
0 Kudos
JørnKristiansen
Esri Contributor
Hi,

It's great that you also have been able to reproduce the issue regarding TIN modeling and ATI graphics cards.

Do you have any estimate when this problem can be expected to be resolved?
I agree that this is a very difficult question to answer, but I have limited of time to finish my TIN model.
So do you recommend to reinstall 10.0 or wait for a fix to 10.1?

Very pleased that you take this problem seriously, much appreciated.

-Jorn
0 Kudos
GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II
I'm also running into display problems with an elevation raster in ArcScene. I'm trying to load raster elevation files (bare ground, or first return) generated from LiDAR. The area is approximately 700 sqmi. Rendering the image in ArcMap works fine, every time I try to add the layer into ArcScene I get a message, preparing <image> for display. The progress bar goes to about 33% and ArcScene stops responding.

Tech and Specs
In Task Manager, ArcScene runs memory up to +2GB.....
I've got a NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 graphics card with the latest drivers (9.18.13.593) but that horsepower seems to add nothing to ArcScene.
I'm using AGIS 10.1 on a Windows 7 64B OS. My workstation has 6GB RAM and an Intel X5677 processor. This system should scream through this type of application.

Please help.... Are there recommended tweaks for ArcScene?
Is ArcScene the wrong platform for 3D analysis with raster data, if so how is a base elevation layer to be used?
I seem to remember ArcScene 9.3x rendered the same bare earth image without errors.
One last thing: the rasters are stored in a local usb drive inside of a File Geodatabase.
0 Kudos
RobertoRossi
Occasional Contributor
I have the same problem in ArcMAP, symbolizing a LAS dataset with TIN faces by elevation and viewing it with LAS Dataset 3D View: I have to wait a lot for rendering, and finally it doesn't work: I only see a static view with faded colour.

I have no problem symbolizing by slope or aspect.
No problem either viewing the elevation in a notebook (with integrated Intel graphic card).

The machine that has the problem has an ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, with catalyst 12.1

Roberto Rossi
0 Kudos
RobertoRossi
Occasional Contributor
Using the driver to 8.670.0.0 (ATI Radeon HD 4650), witch seem older, instead than catalyst 12.1, it works!
0 Kudos
GeospatialTechnology
Occasional Contributor
Following on from this has anyone been having any troubles with arcmap in 10.1

It's taking unusually long time to save workspaces that would have saved straight away in 10
0 Kudos
JørnKristiansen
Esri Contributor
Hi,
I hoped that this problem would be fixed when I installed the new service pack, but the problem is still there. Anybody have any solution? Or anyone know anything more about when this will be fixed?

-Regards Jorn
0 Kudos
GeospatialTechnology
Occasional Contributor
Yes I also still have the same issue even though I was told it would be solved in SP1. Come on ESRI!!
0 Kudos