ArcScene 10.1 near non-functional with TIN (face elevation)

07-30-2012 10:28 AM
MikeFutrell
New Contributor
ArcScene: I upgraded 10 to 10.1 and now TINs are virtually non-functional when symbolizing by face elevation. TINS of even just a few faces, created in 9.x, 10, or 10.1, give that all familiar "Not Responding" for minutes then does not display correctly. Forget about turning the model. Symbolizing by wireframe, aspect, or slope seems to work ok (but elevation is 99% of use). In 10.0 even my large TINs worked fine. So now I have a lot of broken non-functional work. Even simple v10.0 SXD files won't even open!! [no other hardware/software changes were made]

Anyone else experiencing this? Do I need to roll back to 10.0?
Thank you,
Mike
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
44 Replies
brandonolson
New Contributor
Lame!! Is there a solution to this problem yet? ArcScene crashes 100% of the time when I try to add a TIN...
0 Kudos
TimBarnes
Occasional Contributor III
Lame!! Is there a solution to this problem yet? ArcScene crashes 100% of the time when I try to add a TIN...

as opposed to ~ %80 of the time when using ArcGlobe/ArcScene with any 'real world' data?
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
The fix is in for the next update 10.2 per the published bug information.
0 Kudos
RickCarter1
New Contributor
I am having same problem and I am using AMD FirePro V4900 (FireGL v)

Trying to do ESRI pdf --

Introducing ArcGIS 3D Analyst: Mount St. Helens - Before and After
0 Kudos
NathanHobbs
New Contributor
Came here looking for a fix to the same issue

Dell M6500 I7 940 Xm Quadro 3800M

Using a very simplified Tin of a 3 square mile area, tried converting Tin to Raster same issue, can not float any layer over elevation data.

Arc scene at present is unusable to me in this state. Has anyone found workarounds?
0 Kudos
NathanHobbs
New Contributor
Came here looking for a fix to the same issue

Dell M6500 I7 940 Xm Quadro 3800M

Using a very simplified Tin of a 3 square mile area, tried converting Tin to Raster same issue, can not float any layer over elevation data.

Arc scene at present is unusable to me in this state. Has anyone found workarounds hoping to not have to wait until 10.2 is both announced and deployed at my work.
0 Kudos
GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II
Still having ArcScene problems with rasters and display. 2 different machines:
Dell T5500 6GB memory with NVIDIA Quadro FX4800
Driver: 9.18.13.1106
Dell M6500 8GB memory with NVIDIA Quadro FX3800M
Driver: 8.16.11.8843

Both of these machines should laugh at 3D like it's the easiest thing to handle. ArcScene....what gives? Rendering elevation DEMs should be easily handled on either of these machines, but neither are very successful...

iamidaho you aren't the only one!
0 Kudos
DawnLasprugato1
New Contributor
Is there any chance I can get a patch for NIM085208 that works in 10.1?  I cannot upgrade to ArcGIS 10.2 until the US Army Corps of Engineers Hydrologic Engineering Center updates their applications to be 10.2 compatible (at least the ones I use)...
That could be a year from now. 
Thanks.
-Dawn Lasprugato
0 Kudos
GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II
Still having ArcScene problems with rasters and display. 2 different machines:
Dell T5500 6GB memory with NVIDIA Quadro FX4800
Driver: 9.18.13.1106
Dell M6500 8GB memory with NVIDIA Quadro FX3800M
Driver: 8.16.11.8843

Both of these machines should laugh at 3D like it's the easiest thing to handle. ArcScene....what gives? Rendering elevation DEMs should be easily handled on either of these machines, but neither are very successful...

iamidaho you aren't the only one!

UPDATE: It seems that most of my frustration is coming from pulling a DEM out of SDE (SQL Server). If I run ArcScene using a file geodatabase with DEMs in it ArcScene is responding well....at least for a pilot area. Will update again when trying full county area (700 sq mi).
0 Kudos
georgerosenbaum
New Contributor
ArcScene crashes for me when I try to load a TIN - where's the fix?
0 Kudos