9.3.1 "LAS to multipoint" and LAS 1.2?

11-14-2011 07:22 AM
YukunXing
New Contributor III
Hi folks, just need some clarification before I start a conversion task.

We are on 9.3.1, and the ArcGIS help states the "LAS to multipoint tool Supported LAS versions are 1.0 and 1.1. "

Can it handel version 1.2? I have been doing some googling, but can't find a definite answer. I bumped into an ESRI white paper from June 2010 titled "Lidar Analysis in ArcGIS® 9.3.1 for Forestry Applications", which mentions "LAS files captured since September 2008 should conform to the LAS 1.2 specification", but doesn't say anything to the effect that 9.3.1 can't work with LAS 1.2.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
If you upgrade, then ArcMap 10, will support 1.2, but 1.1. is the latest version supported at 9.3.1.
0 Kudos
YukunXing
New Contributor III
If you upgrade, then ArcMap 10, will support 1.2, but 1.1. is the latest version supported at 9.3.1.

Thanks for your reply Jeff. I've tried running the 9.3.1 tool on a bunch of files, it went through without reporting any problems. The points are in reasonable locations, and elevations check out. Based on your knowledge, what are the potential consequences if I use 9.3.1 to process the data? 10 is coming for us, but unfortunately I need to get this done now.

Thank you.

Yukun
0 Kudos