How to add WMS service to ArcGIS Online Scene?

04-17-2017 05:02 AM
JurassicCoast_3D
New Contributor

Hi
I would like to add a WMS service, specifically the BGS 1:50k UK Geological Map layers:

British geology onshore digital maps 1:50 000 scale | BGS Geology 50k — WMS | Web Map Service (WMS) ... 

e.g. Layer: BGS.50k.Bedrock (ID: 4) ,

to an ArcGIS Online Scene (3D Terrain). However, just get a 'Requested operation not supported by this service' warning.

Is there a (recommended) workflow, e.g. via ArcGIS Server, by which this can be done?

I can do this easily using CesiumJS. However, would like to be able to use the higher resolution UK 3D terrain model provided by ArcGIS Online Scenes.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DirkSilbermann
Occasional Contributor II

I had/have the same Issue: some WMS worked in  Agol 3d Scenes, some not, even if they work in 2d maps.

Esri Support awnsered, wms must have an elevation source defined somehow, e.g. "on the ground".

Using Esri Workflow (Arcgis-Pro/ArcgisServer) this might work. However - i didnt figure out yet, how to use other wms sources...

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You will need to add the WMS service as an item under My Content and then add it into the Scene Viewer. Note the bedrock example has a visible scale range set so if you are zoomed out the layer will not be visible. Check out the link below.

Scene Viewer 

AndreasLorentzen
New Contributor III

And it has to support the correct EPSG. Most might not have  WKID 102100 support.

0 Kudos