Workarounds for sending multiple polygons to Survey123 through Experience Builder

2 weeks ago
hsummers_scf
New Contributor III

Hello! 

I am new to Experience Builder and still somewhat new to Survey123. I am trying to build a workflow where users can easily select multiple polygons to submit to Survey123 through Experience Builder. I understand Survey123 does not support multiple geometries, but I'm curious if someone could help me figure out a workaround.

The polygons (watersheds) will always be touching each other, so if there is a way to merge selected polygons into one polygon and then send that to Survey123, this would be the ideal solution. I know there is an edit widget, but I need the original polygons to stay as they are for other users, and I also need users to take the survey without signing in. 

Another alternative might be to extract attributes (watershed numbers) in a list, then send that to Survey123 as a string for processing on the backend with a Python code. 

Unfortunately, I don't know Experience Builder well enough to know if either of these workarounds is possible or how to do either one. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice! 

Thanks! 

- Haleigh

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @hsummers_scf ,

Survey123 supports "repeat question", in which you can collect multiple answers (including geometries) to a related layer for one survey response. That being said, I assume you are only interested in the combined geometry (e.g. overall area of interest), I don't see the repeat question can help your workflow.

Also, the Survey widget does not support combining multiple geometries.

Therefore, the alternative approach you mentioned could be a potential workaround: you can submit object IDs or global IDs of those selected features to the survey, and utilize a webhook in the behind to combine those geometries and update the geometry of the submitted record automatically.

0 Kudos
hsummers_scf
New Contributor III

Thanks for the advice. Do you know how to send a list of IDs from Expereince Builder to Survey123? I have tried doing this as a single line text or multiline text, but it only sends the ID of the feature that is selected first, not a list of the features. Any advice?

0 Kudos