Select to view content in your preferred language

How to remove the "License for developers Use Only" for WPF app deployment

Jump to solution
a month ago
Labels (2)
KTT_Mercury
New Contributor II

Howdy - I've searched for an answer and it says to deploy an app clear of watermarks, I must use one of the ArcGIS Runtime license levels. 

+ What does this Runtime license look like? Is it also token, a set of tokens? and also do I get to replace the current token (I've got it when I log in my account and have it generated at one point) with something else? Do I just leave my current token alone and just need to supply the 'runtime license' probably in another designated coding area or some admin interface generator?

+ I normally log in my esri developer through my organization credential (not a typical password based login as you might know) so how should I tell my organization administrator about Runtime licence? This person is new and so how I should phrase my question so it could make sense to her?

+ Lastly, if I can't have a Runtime License, can I still deploy my app with the watermarks intact? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

If you go to Manage NuGet Packages from your Project in Visual Studio you can see what version of the Runtime you have.  You could also look in the project file itself, it shows the version

Licensing can be done a different ways.  If you are online, you can have users log on.  This is the most straight forward  This would authenticate and then they could do what their license allows.  As example, if a Viewer users logged in, and you wrote code to edit features in a service, it would fail.  Because the Viewer cannot edit data.

For offline apps it is possible to get an offline key.  This is something that needs to be discussed with your esri rep.

Yes, it is possible to do things and leave the watermark. This is basically making a conscience decision to use unlicensed software.  

Thanks,
-Joe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EricJing
New Contributor III

Go to these pages

https://developers.arcgis.com/net/license-and-deployment/get-a-license/#your-lite-license-string

https://developers.arcgis.com/net/license-and-deployment/use-a-license-in-your-app/

You can get a lite license, which is free. Sure, a few features are not available in this level license. if you need more feature, consider to buy higher level license.. 

I am using arcgisruntime WPF, I followed this guide to apply lincense in my app. 

>>+ Lastly, if I can't have a Runtime License, can I still deploy my app with the watermarks intact? 

Yes, you can deploy it without a license. But  "License for developers Use Only" will be shown forever. I guess your customer wouldn't like it. 😁

0 Kudos
KTT_Mercury
New Contributor II

Howdy, 

The ArcGIS Maps SDK for .NET installed and referenced in my project came from NuGet Package Manager https://developers.arcgis.com/net/install-and-set-up/

Where else should I go to get the exact version stated in the instruction per link you posted (https://developers.arcgis.com/net/license-and-deployment/get-a-license/#your-lite-license-string😞

Here it said: To obtain a Runtime production license using one of these named user types, use:

• ArcGIS Maps SDK for .NET 200.0 or newer
  • ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET 100.7 or newer

role-base-lc.png

If it's role based license model as it looks like so, suppose I am a Viewer:
    1)  Where should I go to get the SDK that ties to the "lite" licence? Doesn't the SDK reside in some other places rather than on Nuget? The one SDK showed up in Nuget has the watermarks, I supposed I wouln't go there again for the lite version SDK, right? The instruction is unclear as to where one can get the non water-marked SDK !!

Similarly, if I'm an Editor, where should I go to get the SDK "basic" licencse?

Also 2) how to determine the version 200.0 or newer, or 100.7 or newer?

The adminitrator can probably give me a role I want, but does she know where to get the SDK that corresponds to each role? Am I to figure this out myself?

Can some help me please?
    Thanks.
0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

If you go to Manage NuGet Packages from your Project in Visual Studio you can see what version of the Runtime you have.  You could also look in the project file itself, it shows the version

Licensing can be done a different ways.  If you are online, you can have users log on.  This is the most straight forward  This would authenticate and then they could do what their license allows.  As example, if a Viewer users logged in, and you wrote code to edit features in a service, it would fail.  Because the Viewer cannot edit data.

For offline apps it is possible to get an offline key.  This is something that needs to be discussed with your esri rep.

Yes, it is possible to do things and leave the watermark. This is basically making a conscience decision to use unlicensed software.  

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

>  Yes, you can deploy it without a license. But  "License for developers Use Only" will be shown forever. I guess your customer wouldn't like it.

I'm fairly certain that would be against the license agreement.

If you sign into an ArcGIS Portal, you can also get a license key from the portal as part of your login flow in the app.

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Did you get all your questions answered?

Regarding...

+ Lastly, if I can't have a Runtime License, can I still deploy my app with the watermarks intact? 

You can't deploy your app unlicensed (and therefore with the watermarks intact). Before your application is deployed to production, you must license it. But it may be worth noting that you can increase the license level of an application. For example some developers choose to deploy their app with a Lite license string (which would remove the watermark) and then in code apply a higher level of license based on the user signing in to their portal, or by setting a license string.

Thanks

0 Kudos
KTT_Mercury
New Contributor II

I must login in order to see the license, it looks pretty much like a token - with hex strings. I wish someone could have told me this beforehand becuase as I finished read the reference links given, nothing showed up on this particular page as a anonymous reader, I just got  a general ideas and still wonder where/what, until one fine day I decided to login at the developer site and there it was at the very top of the page.

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for confirming you were able to get your Lite license string. Sorry if you had trouble finding the right information - the information you needed was at the top of the Get a License topic:

MichaelBranscomb_0-1718364455747.png

We're always looking for ways we can improve the doc, particularly regarding licensing and deployment. If you have any suggestions, we'll be happy to take them. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos