Select to view content in your preferred language

From Ecoguard to Wildlife Cartographer: How I Grew My Career As A Forestry Technician

a month ago
ShareUser
Esri Community Manager
1 1 178

From Uncertainty to Confidence

It all started in December 2013, when I landed my first contract as a wildlife inventory technician. Despite being a novice in the field, I committed myself to the task with the firm intention to excel.

My curiosity and rapid self-learning ability in handling the Garmin 62S GPS tool during the pre-expedition debriefing impressed my employer, who entrusted me with the task of inputting UTM coordinates for two hundred start and end points of transects into one of the GPS devices to prepare the next day's test.

I completed this task overnight on all twelve GPS devices of the mission, involving some of the recruited village guides in a “Training and Verification” approach. My expertise in using location tools (GPS, Map, and Compass), combined with my role as a forestry technician, were continuously sought after during the two testing phases, paving the way for me to lead one of the three counting teams in the mission, a position I held until my departure from the organization.

Maps and Wildlife Inventory.jpg

Public Service Experience: Learning and Adaptability, Networking and Relationship Building, Social Progression

In May 2014, I was recruited as an Ecoguard (Forest Technician) at the Directorate of Wildlife and Protected Areas. This service involved strategic programs and projects related to the planning of frameworks for the protection and enhancement of wildlife and protected areas nationwide.

While my technical skills were of limited use in this service, and I found myself at a disadvantage compared to colleagues with forestry engineering backgrounds, lacking expertise in GIS provided an opportunity to showcase my abilities.

Consequently, I became the focal point for cartography in the Department, responsible for mapping new protected areas and high conservation value zones, as well as developing management plans for protected areas and forested areas.

Between 2015 and 2021, I contributed to the creation of over a dozen new protected areas, including the Kribi Marine Park (for marine turtles and stranded cetaceans), Ma Mbed Mbed Park (for transmigrating elephants), Wall Mbargué Wildlife Reserve (Sanaga Young Chimpanzees Refuge), and Lake Chad Wildlife and Flora Reserve (for Lake Chad restoration - Biopalt).

Community Mapping of Wall Mbargue Faunal Reserve.jpg

Determined to enhance this skill, I pursued a Bachelor's degree program in Cartography and Geographic Information Systems then a Masters in Agroforestry, focusing on the importance of Forests remnants in the National Forestry School’s Application Forest (the Mbalmayo Forest Reserve), and subsequently qualified to represent my former Department at the REDD Secretariat and at the Operational Unit for Monitoring Forest Cover in Cameroon. The pinnacle was my appointment in 2018 was to represent Cameroon at the Workshop on GIS Standards to Tackle Illegal Wildlife Trade in Africa in Addis Ababa.

Supported by the US Department of State, Office of the Geographer and Global Issues and Esri, this endeavour afforded me as of march 2019, the title of "Wildlife Geographer", free access to ArcGIS online services enabling me not only to receive and share data on IWT, but also to produce maps and efficient analytic and communication supports like dashboards for decision making. It was also the opportunity to engage with high-level Esri experts such as David Gadsden, Director of Conservation Solutions, and Professor Meredith L. Gore, Wildlife Criminologist at Maryland University.

The recognition stemming from the aforementioned, not only facilitated my participation in numerous similar projects (such as the International workshop on wildlife Criminology in West Africa, organized by the United States Department of State, Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs) but also favoured my appointment as Project Management Office Head of the Wildlife Protection Special Fund, few months later, and in 2019, Administrative and Financial Superintendent in the same bureau, a role I held until my study leave in June 2023.

Addis Ababa Mey Christian.jpg

Social Connection and Mentorship, Volunteering, and Research Adventures

My journey is also one of mentorship and experience sharing, both those I've received and those I've imparted, related to GIS and its contribution to biodiversity conservation. Among my best mentoring experiences are programs with the Wildlife Conservation Research Unit (WILDCRU) at the University of Oxford and the Society for Conservation Biology (SCB)-Mentoring Program. A permanent mentoring link is the one I share with the above mentioned Professor Meredith Gore, from the Addis Ababa GIS/IWT workshop, one that not only opened doors to the wider community of Conservation Social Scientists but also deepened my dive into the world of forestry research, resulting in the publication of three significant scientific papers.

Articles Mey.PNG

My mentorship story also includes annually providing benevolent research support to students from the National Forestry School of Mbalmayo, working in the field of GIS and Conservation, since 2015, as part of their pre-professional activities. This initiative, fully supported by the government through the school administration, led to the creation of a non-profit organization to facilitate the conservation of the Mbalmayo Forest Reserve (MFR) through Community based conservation, mentoring and GIS.

63rd Batch Reforestation 2023 in MFR.png

GIS Leading my career direction Refining at the University of Redlands Thanks to Esri

After 12 years of career, a new journey began in June 2023, with my break from previous professional engagements, and the quest for more direction refine possibly through a Doctoral Thesis. Intensely influenced by remote sensing and GIS, my projected research focuses on "Optimizing Forest Residues for Biodiversity Conservation, Carbon Storage, and Forest Governance in Cameroon".

Thanks to the fully Funded “Esri Conservation Scholarship” and “GIS Leaders Scholarship”, part of the vision commences to come to existence, as my GIS skills are boosted-up through a Master's in GIS at the University of Redlands since January 2024. This outstanding program offers not only a blend of theory, practical, but also guaranteed participation in global-scale excursions and forums, including the upcoming Esri User Conference in July 2024 in San Diego—an invaluable experience for a future GIS expert.

mey Esri Redlands Univ.jpg

In short, my GIS journey as a young professional has shaped my career trajectory positively, fostering growth, accomplishment, and optimism. It fuels my gratitude, and strengthen my commitment to advocating for Esri products and solutions, serving as an Ambassador to forestry students, my country, Africa, and beyond.

I encourage you to get involved in a GIS community and networking such as Esri Young Professionals Network (YPN) as it is an excellent way to dive deeper and connect with like-minded individuals, and exchange ideas and passions within the field of GIS. By becoming a part of this vibrant network, you'll gain access to valuable resources, networking opportunities, and mentorship programs, empowering you to grow both personally and professionally in the exciting world of GeoSciences.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me at meychristian70@gmail.com or visit my page on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/jean-christian-mey-boudoug-849071182/ 

1 Comment
ShareUser
Esri Community Manager

@Christian_Mey What an amazing journey! You clearly have incredible curiosity and drive to make the world a better place. I'm curious what led you to your first post as a wildlife inventory technician - did you already have an interest in wildlife/conservation?