Structure Addressing Using Existing Structure Points

2 weeks ago
LindaGallion
New Contributor II

We are in the process of switching from standalone Desktop to ArcGIS Pro and Enterprise. I assign new 9-1-1 addresses for an 18-county area that is mostly rural and have to deal with existing addresses (which aren’t always accurate). Geocoding new addresses using road centerlines is not an option as I have to work within the constraints of existing flawed addressing. I have combed through the ESRI Address Management Solution and used everything I can. I’m not sure where to even start with this though. I’ve spelled out what I want to achieve below but I’m just not sure if it’s even possible. Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Auto assign addresses using existing structure points and road centerlines before trying to geocode.

This is the order to follow when determining a new address:

1. Are there address points on either side of the new structure point on the same road segment? If not, skip to 2.
    1. Calculate a straight line from each structure point location to the related road centerline and assign that address house number value to that location (disregard the road “to/from” values).
    2. Subtract the low address house number from the high address house number and save as “Difference”.
    3. Measure the linear distance between the two points (created in a.) on the road centerline and save as “Distance Between Existing”.
    4. Measure the linear distance between the new structure point and the existing low address and save as “Distance From”.
    5. Divide “Distance Between Existing” by “Difference” and save as “Divisor”.
    6. Finally, divide “Distance From” by “Divisor” and add the total to the low address (round).
    7. Ensure value is correct parity.
  2. Is there an address point on either side of the new structure point on the same road segment? If no, skip to 4. If the existing address is Higher (if Lower, skip to 3.):
    1. Calculate a straight line from the structure point location to the related road centerline and assign that address house number value to that location (disregard the road high range value).
    2. Subtract the low road range from the existing address house number and save as “Difference”.
    3. Measure the linear distance between the point (created in a.) and the low end of the road and save as “Distance Between Existing”.
    4. Measure the linear distance between the new structure point and the low end of the road and save as “Distance From”.
    6. Finally, divide “Distance From” by “Divisor” and add the total to the low range of the road (round).
  3. If the existing address is Lower:
    1. Calculate a straight line from the structure point location to the related road centerline and assign that address house number value to that location (disregard the road low range value).
    2. Subtract the low address from the high road range and save as “Difference”.
    3. Measure the linear distance between the point (created in a.) and the high end of the road and save as “Distance Between Existing”.
    4. Measure the linear distance between the new structure point and the high end of the road and save as “Distance From”.
    6. Finally, divide “Distance From” by “Divisor” and subtract the total from the high range of the road (round and remove negative).
  4. Lastly, if there are no existing address points on the road segment, geocode the address using the centerline values.
0 Kudos
0 Replies