Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey123 Map Points Not Auto-Plotting from Manually Entered Lat/Long Data

06-26-2024 10:54 AM
MarceldeAndrea
New Contributor

Hello!!

I need the points on the Survey123 map, file called survey_results, to be automatically plotted based on the latitude and longitude columns that are manually filled in the Survey123 form. I tried and I'm not succeeding. Does anyone have a solution?

As shown in the image below, the points plotted on the map do not represent the coordinates manually entered in the "UTM East Coordinates" and "UTM North Coordinates" columns. The plotted point is random and falls in the Atlantic Ocean. The coordinates should fall in southern Brazil.Svey123.png

Thanks!!!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Static lat longs like that are just strings they are not geometry or connected to the geometry in any way.  That is just how ArcGIS works.  You should do some reading up on this as it can be hard to get at first.  But it stores geo in a shape field not as static text.  You are seeing 0,0 since there is no geopoint getting set it defaults to 0,0. 

You need to add a geopoint question to your form and have the users enter the coords there.  This will move the map to that location and then save that geometry (or is they are standing out there is will move the map for them  If offline I am not sure you can even manually add cords at all still).  You can still have fields just to show the user using pulldata from the geopoint question.  But again that is just a string display and not connected to the internal Shape field at all.  Plus they will probably be WGS84 since it pulls from the device.  Not sure if you change all this on a map but its prob not worth it since tablets are 3 m off anyway.  Not sure how the user got UTM to add.

To fix the old data it is not going to be fun.  You could try a field calculate in ArcPro that updates the shape field.  I have pulled this off just look up how to do it.  Make sure you set up your map right.  You can also use Move To in Pro one by one.  To just display what you have you would need to create a XY event layer using those string fields to create a layer.  This would just be a copy though.

Hope that makes sense its a bit tricky to get at first.