Survey123 and HEIC images

2 weeks ago
SethStark1
New Contributor II

I have a survey that requires users to submit before and after photos related to work orders. I have one user that is unable to attach images he takes with his iPhone camera. He receives an error message that says

The following file types are not supported: .heic

I've searched through documentation and old discussions and this seems to have been a problem a few years back, but I wasn't clear if it still is an issue or not. I did find this in a General FAQ (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/get-started/faqgeneral.htm😞

Does Survey123 support the High Efficiency Image Compression (HEIC) format?

The HEIC format, that is used as a default image format for photos taken by iPhone 7 and later devices in the camera app, was introduced with iOS 11. HEIC images are not supported by ArcGIS Online, so HEIC images attached to surveys are converted to JPEG format before submission.

I take that to mean that the image is converted to a JPEG upon submission of the form, but I'm not sure if I'm understanding that correctly.

Has anyone else run into this issue? This is the only user having this issue that I am aware of. It may be unique to him, but he reports it has been a consistent problem with his phone.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have not seen this error but I have seen that when set to High Efficiency all the Exif gets stripped from the photos so now we have all users change to Most Compatible.