Viewshed Analysis completed. But fail to display.

3 weeks ago
Labels (2)
HuaxinWang
New Contributor II

I performed a viewshed analysis to create a layer showing the visibility from roads.

Here is my input and output: I convert roads from lines to points as observation points.

HuaxinWang_1-1714813676391.png

It completed.

HuaxinWang_2-1714813735699.png

But the the map view displayed nothing. I zoomed in, also nothing showed. 

Any suggestions how to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

open a new map without any basemap or defined coordinate system

Add the raster to it, can you see it?

OR

right-click on the layer and select "zoom to layer"

If either of those methods works, then the raster doen't have a defined coordinate system  and you will need to use the Define Projection tool to assign the correct one

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
HuaxinWang
New Contributor II

Thank you very much for your response.

The viewshed I performed complete, but the output file only two. No raster.

HuaxinWang_0-1714848345539.png

It might due to something wrong with the input point or polyline observer features for the viewshed tool. Now I am trying to use Feature Vertices To Points to convert the vertices in polyline road.shp to points as the observation points.  https://community.esri.com/t5/geoprocessing-questions/visibility-analysis-using-a-polyline/m-p/57677...

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/feature-vertices-to-points.h...

but I am stuck with how to limit the maximum number of points converted from vertices.

HuaxinWang_1-1714848621490.png

0 Kudos
HuaxinWang
New Contributor II

I guess I need to find the tutorial of road/line visibility analysis with Arcgis or Qgis.

Too many tutorial about points but few about lines.

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

You haven't defined the raster type. Put .tif on the end of your output raster.

(Only leave the file extension out if your output is going into a gdb. If you've got an xml going into a folder somewhere, then you've not written to gdb here)

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos