Using 'Calculate Field' to pull Grid Name into attribute table

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
Trans-TelCentral
New Contributor

Hello, I am in need of some help. I have tried researching this problem and cannot find any relevant information. Here is the issue: I have a feature class [named Hand Holes] that includes data needed by the client to be exported into a CSV [and then formatted into an Excel file]. I need to pull the Grid Name from the map series feature class into this Hand Holes layer so the client has a quick reference to locate which sheet [Grid Name] they can find each Hand hole. Is it possible to bring data from the map series feature class into the attribute table of a separate point feature class? Sorry if this question is redundant, but I could not find anything related during my search.

Thanks for any help...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

Do the features in your handholes layer cross grid boundaries? If not then this sounds like a simple spatial join operation where you specify a 1:1 relationship between handholes and grid layers. If handholes features are crossed by a grid boundary, then probably the easiest thing you can do is to an intersect between handholes and grids. The output should have the grid attributes appended to the handholes attribute table. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

Do the features in your handholes layer cross grid boundaries? If not then this sounds like a simple spatial join operation where you specify a 1:1 relationship between handholes and grid layers. If handholes features are crossed by a grid boundary, then probably the easiest thing you can do is to an intersect between handholes and grids. The output should have the grid attributes appended to the handholes attribute table. 

0 Kudos
Trans-TelCentral
New Contributor

Here is a more specific explanation of what is happening. The map set consists of a fiber optic network that is providing internet access to homes in a rural town. I overlaid a Grid Index to divide up the areas of the network so a map series could be used to create a map set. Essentially, there are multiple Hand Holes [point feature class] that lie within the Grid index [polygonal feature class]. I need to perform a function that will carry the GRID Index [page name] into the attribute table of the Hand Hole layer [attribute table will be formatted into excel spreadsheet for the client as one of the deliverables]. I am exploring the options with the spatial join function right now but have not gotten it to produce the desired results.  

0 Kudos
Trans-TelCentral
New Contributor

I believe the intersect tool gave me the output I am looking for; I need to do some spot checking, but it looks correct at first glance. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos