Unable to open PAGX in 3.0.2

Jump to solution
10-14-2022 01:19 AM
ErikKjellman
New Contributor III

I have a a layout file (pagx) that refuses to open in 3.0.2, but it opens fine in 2.9.0. Not sure what version it was made in but something prior to 2.9 I think. I'm thinking it might be a bug of sorts, but since there is no information attached to the error message (only says unable to open file) I do not have that much to go on. Any ideas on how to solve this? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Arne_Gelfert
Occasional Contributor III

So I have run into all kinds of variations of issues with Layout templates (pagx) after upgrades. it doesn't matter if you're upgrading the client (ArcGIS Pro) or ArcGIS Server. Any geoprocessing services working with the PAGX will suddenly bomb. After trying to code around this in arcpy where all the sudden things we're spitting up errors - layer types start behaving differently or no longer have certain properties, and failing to find useful, comprehensible or accurate documentation for  CIM (Cartographic Information Model) to exploit , I just decided to lie and cheat.

Export your PAGX from Pro, open it up as XML in any IDE and switch the version at the very top from 3.1.x or whatever you're using to 2.7.0 or whatever the last version was that you were successfully using. Then save.

"type" : "CIMLayoutDocument",
"version" : "2.7.0",

Chances are things will miraculously start working, begging the question why this all has to depend on some CIM version. I find it impossible to keep up with ESRI releases these days, and am resigned to the fact they usually break as much as they fix. So, staying on a somewhat stable release for as long as possible has become a means of survival for me. If that sometimes requires desperate measures, so be it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Erik, 

I'm not currently aware of any general, or specific issues with opening layout files in Pro 3.0 or 3.0.2.  Without knowing the makeup of the layout file I cannot offer any suggestions to resolve or work around this issue.

The problem you are running into may be specific to your layout file. Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Tom

0 Kudos
ErikKjellman
New Contributor III

I already have a case with ESRI support but they haven't figured it out yet. Was hoping someone would have run into a similar problem and that there were a quick fix to it.

I'll update this with whateever comes out of the support case.

0 Kudos
AnaCGomez
New Contributor

Hey Erik, did you ever find a solution to this?

0 Kudos
Arne_Gelfert
Occasional Contributor III

So I have run into all kinds of variations of issues with Layout templates (pagx) after upgrades. it doesn't matter if you're upgrading the client (ArcGIS Pro) or ArcGIS Server. Any geoprocessing services working with the PAGX will suddenly bomb. After trying to code around this in arcpy where all the sudden things we're spitting up errors - layer types start behaving differently or no longer have certain properties, and failing to find useful, comprehensible or accurate documentation for  CIM (Cartographic Information Model) to exploit , I just decided to lie and cheat.

Export your PAGX from Pro, open it up as XML in any IDE and switch the version at the very top from 3.1.x or whatever you're using to 2.7.0 or whatever the last version was that you were successfully using. Then save.

"type" : "CIMLayoutDocument",
"version" : "2.7.0",

Chances are things will miraculously start working, begging the question why this all has to depend on some CIM version. I find it impossible to keep up with ESRI releases these days, and am resigned to the fact they usually break as much as they fix. So, staying on a somewhat stable release for as long as possible has become a means of survival for me. If that sometimes requires desperate measures, so be it.

0 Kudos
ErikKjellman
New Contributor III

I see that I never did update on this. The short answer is that support couldn't help, but came up with a similar solution as Arne_Gelfert provided above.

0 Kudos