Time spent by ships in each grid

2 weeks ago
HKN
by
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have data on yearly ship movements in an area. The area is divided into 1km x 1km grids.

The yearly ship movements are available in the form of tracks which are polylines. The tracks feature class has the average speed as one of the fields.

I am now looking to estimate the time spent by ships in each 1km x 1km grid.

From what I could see, using something similar to Line Density could be helpful to do the above, but I cannot get to a full workable solution. I am fairly new to ArcGIS Pro, any help on this would be appreciated.

As per How Line Density works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/spatial-analyst/how-line-density-works.htm, the line density considers the length of each line falling within a circle drawn (with search radius as the radius) around the center of each raster cell. Further, the length of the portion of each line that falls within the circle is multiplied by its Population field value.

I can set the “Population” field to be “1/Average Speed”. Multiplying the length of the line portion with “1/Average Speed” for each line, summing all contributions and multiplying by the area of the search circle will give a line density value per grid that will correspond to an estimate of total time spent by ships in that grid. However, for this approach to work, I would need to estimate Line Density by considering the lengths of all line features within a raster cell, i.e. not within in a circular neighborhood around the raster cell but just within the exact boundaries of the raster cell.

Is there any way of using Line Density in ArcGIS Pro by considering just the raster cell or are there other ways to solve my original problem, i.e. estimate time spent by ships in each grid?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
0 Replies