Setting Bin on a histogram for a raster

Jump to solution
03-26-2024 09:42 AM
Labels (2)
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I have a large float raster, there are 903,908,029 cells with a float value and using the create chart from the contents pane for the raster layer I can create a histogram.

There is a slider to change the number of bins. I cannot move it beyond 34. By that I mean if I drag it to the end it says 64 then after it has recomputed the histogram it jumps back to 34.  Why can't  I change it to say 100 bins?

The help file states:

The number of bins defaults to the square root of the number of records in your dataset. You can adjust this by changing theBinsvalue on theDatatab of theChart Propertiespane. Changing the number of bins allows you to see more or less detail in the structure of your data.

This statement seems to imply I can change it to what ever I like, but clearly it's constraining it in some way.  Can someone from esri explain why this is happening as it appears not be documented in the help file (or I missed it)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherAllen
Esri Contributor

Hi @DuncanHornby ,

Thanks for the question. There is currently a bug where, at times, the number of bins resets to 34 when configuring the bin count using the slider. We plan to fix this in the near future, but in the meantime I would suggest using the number input to set the bin count:

ChristopherAllen_0-1711482865822.png

If you are still seeing the same issue when using the number input to set the bin count, please reach out. 

We have set the maximum bin count value to 64, because using more bins often results in a noisy histogram and it becomes difficult to interpret the general characteristics of the distribution. We will update the documentation to make this limitation clear. If you would like us to reconsider this restriction, I would suggest creating a Pro Idea. 

Thanks again,

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChristopherAllen
Esri Contributor

Hi @DuncanHornby ,

Thanks for the question. There is currently a bug where, at times, the number of bins resets to 34 when configuring the bin count using the slider. We plan to fix this in the near future, but in the meantime I would suggest using the number input to set the bin count:

ChristopherAllen_0-1711482865822.png

If you are still seeing the same issue when using the number input to set the bin count, please reach out. 

We have set the maximum bin count value to 64, because using more bins often results in a noisy histogram and it becomes difficult to interpret the general characteristics of the distribution. We will update the documentation to make this limitation clear. If you would like us to reconsider this restriction, I would suggest creating a Pro Idea. 

Thanks again,

Chris

0 Kudos