Cannot get mountains to reflect in water (have done so in the past)

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
ErikKjellman
New Contributor III

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what I am doing wrong. I am trying to recreate an illustration I made a while back in ArcGIS Pro where the mountains are reflected in the water.  Is this still possible, or am I just looking in the wrong places? Have tried all sorts of properties an lighting settings, symbologies etc. 

Illustration I made some time ago, with mountains reflecting in the oceanIllustration I made some time ago, with mountains reflecting in the oceanCurrent illustration, no reflectionCurrent illustration, no reflection

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

You may have already read through this, but in case you have not: Water bodies—3D Workflows | Documentation (arcgis.com)

This also mentions the reflections effect: Reflections (arcgis.com)

Eugene_Adkins_0-1714747546857.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Eugene_Adkins

Looks more like a shadow, so it could have something to do with the angle of the light source in the scene (the illumination).

I don't have a lot of experience with this subject so maybe this documentation will help.

What you're looking for could be found here (notice the "shade relative to light position" option which viewable when you select the elevation surface in the contents pane):

Eugene_Adkins_0-1714663799600.png

0 Kudos
ErikKjellman
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestion but it definitely is a reflection. The effect is somewhat similar, but not quite.

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins

You may have already read through this, but in case you have not: Water bodies—3D Workflows | Documentation (arcgis.com)

This also mentions the reflections effect: Reflections (arcgis.com)

Eugene_Adkins_0-1714747546857.png

ErikKjellman
New Contributor III

It isn't really the correct solution, as this pertains to arcgis online, but I can't spend more time on this and let this be out there for anyone else that wonders about arcgis pro and reflections.

0 Kudos