Select to view content in your preferred language

Can’t display classified raster in ArcGIS Pro 3.3

Jump to solution
a week ago
Labels (1)
LizLotz_mc2
New Contributor II

For some reason I can’t display an raster elevation DEM layer in ArcGIS Pro 3.3 using the Classify symbology.  It displays without a problem using the Stretch symbology, but when I select “Classify” instead, it immediately starts “Generating unique values” which runs for awhile.  Then, I get an error.  I tried increasing the number of values in Options up to 100,000,000, but I still get the error.  And, the Statistics don’t show up in the Symbology Pane.  The Statistics are shown in the Layer Properties however.  See the screenshots below.

When I do the same thing in ArcMap 8.2, I can select the the Classified display and specify the # of classes and class breaks for display, and view the histogram and statistics. 

Why is this simple raster display a problem in ArcGIS Pro??

GeneratingUniqueValues.JPGDEM_8_Symbology_Classify_Error.JPGDEM_8_RasterProperties_AGP.JPGDEM_8_Raster_Classify_ArcMap.JPG

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

There is BUG-000167647 - "Issues with classifying the symbology of a raster dataset using continuous floating-point values in ArcGIS Pro 3.3"  It's scheduled to be fixed in ArcGIS Pro 3.4 later this year.    Workarounds include:

• Use the Apply Symbology From Layer tool to import the symbology from a similar layer.
  • Edit the 'Maximum number of unique values to display' parameter within the Raster and Imagery ArcGIS Pro options.

View solution in original post

LizLotz_mc2
New Contributor II

Good to know this is a known issue scheduled for a fix.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

way at the bottom of this link

Change the symbology of imagery—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

describes Classified

I would suggest using anything other than Classify in your last image.  you elevations are floating point and setting the number of classes to more than 10 classes isn't going to make it look better

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
LizLotz_mc2
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan, I appreciate the suggestion.  But the purpose of my post is not to ask about symbolizing floating point elevation data in general.  I'm trying to understand why a basic raster display option is not working in ArcGIS Pro.  What I really was trying to do is use a 2 class raster display in ArcGIS Pro to quickly visually show elevations above and below a specific value to get an idea of upland vs wetland in a particular area.  This is a simple classification that I have done many times in ArcMap, so why not in ArcGIS Pro?

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The default in the Project backstage, Raster and Imagery, did you set the maximum number of unique values there as well? the default is 65536, perhaps throwing the 100m in symbology throws the warning.

Pro display engine isn't the same as arcmap's so I wouldn't expect them to behave exactly the same

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

There is BUG-000167647 - "Issues with classifying the symbology of a raster dataset using continuous floating-point values in ArcGIS Pro 3.3"  It's scheduled to be fixed in ArcGIS Pro 3.4 later this year.    Workarounds include:

• Use the Apply Symbology From Layer tool to import the symbology from a similar layer.
  • Edit the 'Maximum number of unique values to display' parameter within the Raster and Imagery ArcGIS Pro options.
LizLotz_mc2
New Contributor II

Good to know this is a known issue scheduled for a fix.  Thanks!