Arc GIS pro causing issues for the GPU

3 weeks ago
c1asse
by
New Contributor

Hello, so i have recently started working with ArcGIS Pro. However it has been causing a problem which has confused me. My previous laptop started having display issues on startup so i bought a new machine (Asus TUF 15 gaming laptop 16GB RAM) considering that the previous one is too old for the software. After a couple of days my new device is also showing similar issues in the display. The GPU drivers gets disabled automatically and on startup there is no display currently. Please note that i have used other simulation software such as HEC-RAS and FLOW3D and have never faced any issue like this. I am unsure what mistake i am making while using the software or saving its files. Any help is appreciated. Thankyou.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Graphics adapter resources—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

also

ArcGIS Pro 3.3 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

the first link to verify your computers specifications 

( Verify your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro. )

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RTPL_AU
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @c1asse 
Pro uses the GPU for a lot of things, not just data processing but also all the beautiful dialogs & UI effects.....
That means drivers etc have to be working well before you even open data. 

Asus' laptops are a bit more complex than typical desktops with regards to GPU when it comes to optimised drivers and power conservation (I have a Strix Scar with AMD CPU & Nvidia GPU). 
If yours has the ability to switch between integrated GPU (Intel or AMD)  and discrete (prob Nvidia) make sure to correctly set the switch-over in Armory Crate. 
Double check Windows' power profile in use with Pro. 

Mine has been a lot more stable with Windows 11 than 10 so that may be an option.
The Pro UI is still laggy on a Threadripper + 4090 so don't expect miracles on a laptop. Your machine should handle day to day datasets fine - obviously spatial data optimisation gets more critical the lower spec the hardware it is processed on (FGDB vs SHP, etc).

Try the DX11, DX12, OpenGL + rendering quality settings in Pro - known to affect stability with different GPU driver versions and optimisations, and your workflows. Cross check against AMD or Nvidia driver utility settings (anti-aliasing, etc) as you may have changed something global there to suit another application/game. There was a period last year where I got continuous GPU driver warnings in Pro. Went away with a driver update and next version of Pro. 

Grab HWInfo or similar and check/log temperatures while running Pro.  Check Event Viewer for disk errors when opening Pro (to rule them out and don't get distracted & dive down the error event rabbit hole).

Pro 3.x has been pretty stable for me on desktop & laptop so I suspect you have a Asus Driver/Power setting wrong somewhere.

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

@c1asse wrote:

The GPU drivers gets disabled automatically and on startup there is no display currently. Please note that i have used other simulation software such as HEC-RAS and FLOW3D and have never faced any issue like this. I am unsure what mistake i am making while using the software or saving its files. Any help is appreciated. Thankyou.

Do you mean the display in the Map view is permanently stuck on the "Loading Map" progress icon and the actual map display stays grey, not showing anything, and Pro reporting "Changes in your graphics hardware detected"?

If so, welcome to the club ;-(.

I have had a similar experience with what is still my only laptop, a Core i7-7700HQ with NVidia Geforce 1050 graphics card.

Despite contacting ESRI support about this, I have never managed to get Pro working with the graphics driver, not with DirectX, nor OpenGL, nor by upgrading to any of the latest versions of the drivers or any of the Windows updates since I acquired it.

I finally resorted to disabling the NVidia Geforce 1050 graphics card altogether through Windows settings, and only run on the Core i7-7700HQ's integrated graphics. That actually works better than initially expected, but of course feels a bit dump knowing I have "dead" unused hardware lying around that probably could do a bit better.

Nonetheless, if you have no option to switch laptops, I would say go for it, and run on integrated graphics only. More modern laptops than my 6 years old machine, should have more muscle for that work too, so if I can run it on integrated, you can probably too and with better experience.

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Also note that these "dedicated" graphics cards in laptops are not like true desktop graphics cards stuck in a PCIe express port. They are usually essentially a kind of co-processor chips directly stuck on your mother board to help and work together with the integrated graphics. That is fundamentally different from a high end desktop graphics card, and may explain some of these issues as well.

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

One thing you might still try though, is to disable the graphics card in Windows before installing the graphics driver, than re-enable it afterwards after the successful install of the driver, if the installation process of the driver hasn't already done so.

0 Kudos