Is there a method to have the line associated with the polygon move with the polygon when a vertex is edited or moved?

a week ago
Labels (1)
-_Ashley-B-Potter_-
New Contributor III

Is there a method to have the boundary line associated with the polygon move with the polygon when a vertex is edited or moved? Currently, when we edit or move a polygon the line does not move with it. We have to either remove and redraw the boundary line or move the vertices of that line to match the polygon.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

sounds to me like you have 2 layers: a polygon and a polyline - and you want to edit the polygon and have the segment(s) of your polyline 'follow' your polygon changes? This sounds a lot like topology rules that you can implement within a geodatabase dataset. Its been ages since i messed about with this capability but here's an article that might get you pointed in the right direction. Hopefully someone with more recent experience can chime in.

Topology in ArcGIS 

-_Ashley-B-Potter_-
New Contributor III

Yes, it is two layers. When you duplicate parcels everything follows suit. I was hoping I could follow a similar suit. I will look into topology rules and see if anything arises. Thanks.

0 Kudos
BobBooth1
Esri Contributor

You could try a Map Topology and the Reshape edge or Edit vertices tool.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/topologies/introduction-to-editing-topology.htm

0 Kudos
-_Ashley-B-Potter_-
New Contributor III

I will look into the map topology. It was suggested that a topology rule might be the way to go.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is the line layer associated with the parcel polygon layer in the parcel fabric already?  I thought rebuild is supposed to move the lines to the polygons and vice versa within the parcel fabric as one of the fabrics built-in topological capabilities.

0 Kudos
-_Ashley-B-Potter_-
New Contributor III

The reconstruct boundary line does reconstruct, however, if I move that polygon vertex I want the line to follow. I prefer 1 step instead of 2 or more. 

0 Kudos
BobBooth1
Esri Contributor

Oh, I'm sorry, I see this is in the ArcGIS Parcel Fabric section. There is probably a better approach using those tools than map topology.

0 Kudos
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor

I would verify that either Map Topology or GDB Topology are active on the Edit tab

JasonCamerano_0-1714080630640.png

TimHodson
Esri Contributor

@-_Ashley-B-Potter_-  The responses above have good information, and here is some more background /overview.

The parcel fabric uses the standard geodatabase topology. That topology gets created for you when you create a new parcel fabric, and there are geodatabase topology rules set up for you between the line feature class and polygon feature class for each of the parcel types you create.

The standard editing tools and map topology will all work with the parcel fabric features. While there are also additional tools that work with the fabric, you are free to use any and all standard editing tools and GP tools with the parcel fabric features and parcel feature layers.

Whether or not there is a topology rule does not really matter for your specific scenario, but as Jason  mentions, you do need to specify either Map topology or the fabric's gdb topology in the edit tab, to enable topological editing.

Based on your description it sounds like the editing tools to explore/research for your scenario are:

Edit a toplogical vertex

Move a topology node

-Tim