How do I copy a feature layer from/in ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
10-27-2014 10:12 AM
ChristopherThiry
New Contributor

I have created a feature service using Desktop in Online.  I want this to act as a base file for people to make copies of and then edit it like they want in Online.  But I do not want them to be able to edit the base file.

How can people make copies of the feature layer from ArcGIS Online WITHOUT going into Desktop?  I am trying to keep this simple--the users will not be familiar with nor have access to the desktop.

I have tried making copies of the Service in Online, but any changes in the copied Service affect the master file.

With many thanks,

chris thiry

map librarian

colorado school of mines

cthiry@Mines.edu

303-273-3697

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

AGOL doesn't support making copies of the data. A few things I can think of...you can allow users to download the data (via exporting it from the item) and publish it themselves. Or alternatively, you'd have to give them the source data for publishing directly (e.g., a shapefile).

thanks

Mike

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

AGOL doesn't support making copies of the data. A few things I can think of...you can allow users to download the data (via exporting it from the item) and publish it themselves. Or alternatively, you'd have to give them the source data for publishing directly (e.g., a shapefile).

thanks

Mike

simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

A copy function in AGOL will be handy in some cases.

Because users won't have direct data access in AGOL, if they are allowed to make copies of the hosted feature services, they will be able to configure those services in different ways and use them in different maps for specific purposes. Beneath those services, they will share same data sources in AGOL. that will solve some work flow issues for some users.

MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

simo xu

You can make copies of layers now from the Map Viewer and save them as unique items, that point to the original data source.

Copy and save layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Thanks,

Mike

MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Note, there isn't a way to copy the layer that includes making a copy of the data. The copy described above references the original feature layer. However, you can change the symbology of the layer, apply a filter and so on so that it can serve a different visual purpose in a map.

0 Kudos
simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

what I need is not the copy of the data, which is quite easy to achieve. I need two services pointing to the same data source.  the context is AGOL, it won't be a problem for Portal with your own ArcGIS server and SDE.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

It may be worth noting that AGOL does support creating feature layer views

If you need a different view of the data represented by a single hosted feature layer—for example, you want to apply different editor settings styles , or filters —create a hosted feature layer view of that hosted feature layer.  

0 Kudos
simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Mike.

I tried that, but it's different from what I think.

this will not create a copy of the service, instead, it only create a reference to the feature service, in which you can't have independent settings for capabilities "Add, Delete, Update, Sync,..."

0 Kudos