Select to view content in your preferred language

School Response study

4 weeks ago
CarrieKeneally1
New Contributor II

Trying to assist our Police dept with creating a school response study.  They have given me patrol stationary points where officers fill out paperwork while in a larger patrol area.  They would like to know from these set points what the response time would be to schools in those larger patrol areas? I have network analyst and streetmap premium but unsure how to make this work.  Basically how long would it take from point a to point b (the schools)  they would like to know the amount minutes.  Thanks! 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

It is pretty straightforward to do routes between a pair of points in Network Analyst. Basic steps, add the network dataset from SMP to the map and then use the NA drop down on Analysis tab to create a route layer, add the two stops and solve. Best is to run through the tutorials to get yourself familiar with this workflow.

Find the shortest path and generate directions with Route—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
CarrieKeneally1
New Contributor II

Hi Thanks for the reply.  Just to clarify SMP and NA stands for?  Still kind of new at the Network analyst lingo.  

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

NA is Network Analyst. You mentioned you have that extension. SMP is Streetmap Premium, the network dataset on which you can perform the route analysis.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
CarrieKeneally1
New Contributor II

got it thanks yes I have both of those.  I think the route layer analysis will work for what I am looking to do.  Only issue I see I might run into is they have 1 police car to possibly 3 schools.  I have the data in 2 shapefiles, one as the police cars and the other as the schools.  Would I have to run this 1 by 1? 

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

There are couple of different ways to solve this. Do you need three routes, to each of the school from the same starting location (police car location)? So, you can use the route solve, three different times OR you can use the Closest Facility Solver. Load the police car shape file as the facility. Load the three school locations from the second shape file as incidents. Set the travel direction to travel from Facility to Incident and solve. This will give you three separate routes. See screenshot below.

Jay Sandhu

JaySandhu_0-1715718015255.png

GregMiddleton
New Contributor II

If you want the explict steps that Jay is talking about, this is covered in this tutorial:

Identify the closest facility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

You could also do this a little differently by using a Service Area and creating a visual based on time.  You would plug in the Patrol Station Points, and then say show me the 3min, 5 min, 10 min (for example) service area based on these points. Then with your map, add the Schools as displayed address points. You can then see which schools are within 1 to many "service areas"

Visualize the reachable area with Service Area—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation