Customize downloadable source data

09-14-2023 01:24 PM
Labels (1)
Shubhreet
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Is it possible to customize the downloadable data from the widgets such as serial charts in ArcGIS Dashboard? When I download the source data, the excel file contains all the fields present in the relevant feature layer. I would like to remove a few fields and records from the file that would be downloaded. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

According to the documentation, it appears that this is what is expected:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/dashboards/latest/create-and-share/download-data.htm

It says this:

For serial charts, pie charts, and grouped value-based tables, viewers can also choose to download the summarized data. When summarized data is downloaded, the downloaded file only includes the fields selected when configuring the element. If the element is displaying summary statistics—for example, the count or sum—the downloaded file includes the aggregated data. Any number, string, or date formatting is not included in the downloaded file. Dates are downloaded in local time.

0 Kudos
Shubhreet
Occasional Contributor

Thank you @AdrianWelsh  for getting back to me. I did try using the option for summarized data, but the problem is that it gives the aggregated data based on the statistics used. I am looking to have the customized/selective/filtered data in the downloadable option. 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ah, I see. In that case, I am going to fully guess that this is another limitations of the dashboards. I love dashboards as they're so simple to build and easy to share (plus, people expect them now). But their limitations sometimes stop me from using them. What I have done before to kind of cheat is to make a Web AppBuilder (or Experience Builder) app of the same map, configure it the way I want, and then add it as a tab underneath my main map in my dashboard. That way, users can do the added functionality that this app includes while remaining in the dashboard.

Here is a snippet of what that looks like for one of my dashboards:

AdrianWelsh_0-1694799224559.png

Shubhreet
Occasional Contributor

Thank you @AdrianWelsh for sharing the smart trick. The problem is that I used Arcade expression in my dashboard list widget to display filtered data that was not possible via inbuild filter of the list widget. I am looking to allow users to download this filtered data anyhow. As per the trick shared by you, is it possible to configure the web app to show the filtered the way it appears in my dashboard list and then add it as a tab underneath my main map in my dashboard ?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I am going to say yes. But, you will really have to test it out yourself to see if it will work. I would suggest building it the way you want in an Experience Builder app (and if that just won't cut it, try it in Web AppBuilder but be away the Web AppBuilder will be completely deprecated soon). Maybe you could build it quick in ExpB and see if it will work and go from there? Other than that, it will all depend on how it behaves, etc. I hope that's not too vague!

0 Kudos
Shubhreet
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply @AdrianWelsh . I tried using experience builder to filter out the data from the feature layer in same way as in my dashboard list but unfortunately, I could not see any option to use Arcade. There is an option to use SQL in the Experience Builder for filtering the data but again SQL does not allow to perform advanced/complex filtering as in Arcade. 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Yeah, that's what I have discovered from ExpB as well. I keep using Web AppBuilder since I like its filter widget much better. I am not using Arcade though.

Either way, this might be a good idea to submit this idea to ArcGIS Ideas: https://community.esri.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/arcgis-ideas 

0 Kudos
Shubhreet
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your time and advice @AdrianWelsh . 

0 Kudos
MiltonSolano
Occasional Contributor

Folks,

Although, it is an old thread, I would recommend use views to define field availability on the map used for the dashboard. On the view definition, you can remove not needed fields and when extracting the data, it will show only the fields available on the view definition.

Milton

0 Kudos