proConfigX: 3.2 and 3.3 Compatibility

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
KrisCulin
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

We currently have a configuration for AGP that works against AGP 3.1 and 3.2.  3.3 was just released and we've verified that it works as well (without rebuilding).

I understand that AGP 3.3 is built against NET8.  At the moment, we cannot upgrade to target against net8 in order to continue support for 3.1 and 3.2 (upgrading makes them incompatible).  We are currently referencing the AGP 3.1 NuGet package.

The problem is with debugging.  If we build our configuration project, the proConfigX file is *not* copied to Documents\ArcGIS\AddIns\ArcGISPro\Configurations.  This works if I have AGP 3.2 installed.

I'll repeat that - when I build with AGP 3.2 installed, the proConfigX file is copied.  If I have AGP 3.3 installed, it is *not* copied.

If the file is not located in that folder, then our configuration does not load and base AGP loads instead.  If I copy the file into the folder that was built against AGP 3.2, then the configuration loads.  As long as the correct proConfigX file is located there then our configuration loads.  I cannot find the proConfigX file that is built when building against AGP 3.3.

This is very frustrating because side-by-side installation is not supported by AGP.  It is either 3.2 or 3.3, not both.

Can someone please look into this and confirm that it is a regression?  Make sure your configuration (I suspect an add-in has the same issue) is targeting net6 and using the AGP 3.1 NuGet package.

If you have any questions or need more clarification, please let me know.

Kris

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CharlesMacleod
Esri Regular Contributor

RegisterAddin.exe was moved to a common folder at 3.3. I suspect that the issue u r running into is that the 3.1, 3.2 Nuget still references RegisterAddin.exe in the Pro bin folder. Addins not using the Nuget reference RegisterAddin.exe via the .targets file in the bin folder so wont experience the same behavior.

For your purposes of u wanting to use the older Nuget, i think if u copy RegisterAddin.exe into the Pro bin folder u should be good to go.

At 3.3, the default location is here: C:\ProgramData\EsriProCommon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CharlesMacleod
Esri Regular Contributor

RegisterAddin.exe was moved to a common folder at 3.3. I suspect that the issue u r running into is that the 3.1, 3.2 Nuget still references RegisterAddin.exe in the Pro bin folder. Addins not using the Nuget reference RegisterAddin.exe via the .targets file in the bin folder so wont experience the same behavior.

For your purposes of u wanting to use the older Nuget, i think if u copy RegisterAddin.exe into the Pro bin folder u should be good to go.

At 3.3, the default location is here: C:\ProgramData\EsriProCommon

0 Kudos
KrisCulin
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for the quick response.  This solution worked perfectly.

I've notified my team members, so they know the work around.

Kris

0 Kudos