World Topographic Map and basemap

2 weeks ago
Labels (1)
Philipwebb
New Contributor II

So, my world topographic map in ArcGIS pro has an exclamation point beside it, and it will not let me set a basemap, when I click the exclamation point it takes me to a window but there are no further instructions, called the help desk and since I am student and not an authorized user they cannot help me, hoping you guys can

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EdMorris
Esri Contributor

Hi

When I have experienced this I normally chooses a different basemap e.g. Imagery and once that loads / displays without an issue I then choose the Topographic Base Map. That usually does the trick - hopefully it will for you too.

many thanks ed

0 Kudos
Philipwebb
New Contributor II

Just tried different ones, and nothing, still coming up failed, I googled it and said the license was expired but checked and for school I am good until September

0 Kudos
EdMorris
Esri Contributor

OK - let's try a couple of other things..

1: Log out of ArcGIS Pro and then log back into it, That may refresh your connection to your data Portal.

Once you've done that click the Basemap button to see if that accesses the basemaps associated with your portal.

2: Which Portal are you signed into?

To check go to the Project Tab > Portals option. This should tell you that you are logged into an on-premise or online portal. This is where you are referencing your basemaps from.

You might need to re-assign your active portal to ArcGIS Online, for example https://www.arcgis.com

Have a chat with your Portal Administrator at your school / college / university about what your active data portal should be.

3: Can you access base maps from the Living Atlas of the World? This might be a temporary solution while you figure out step 2.

- So From ArcGIS Pro's Catalog pane click Portal tab > Living Atlas icon (far right).

- In the Search box type "topographic" and press <enter>.

Hopefully you should see the "World Topographic Map" as the 1st result.

EdMorris_0-1715103991409.png

- Drag and drop the data set into your map.

Fingers crossed that will help you out.

Philipwebb
New Contributor II
I’m online with a laptop, and our IT is trying to find out too, just hoping it was a quick fix
0 Kudos
Philipwebb
New Contributor II

Got that to work but my basemaps are still not wanting to work

0 Kudos
EdMorris
Esri Contributor

Hi

I'm glad you have a workaround of sorts.

I'd be interested to know what the final solution is, once your IT people have had a look.

many thanks ed

0 Kudos
Philipwebb
New Contributor II
I’ll post the update, still having issues with the base maps not uploading lol
0 Kudos