Are UTM coordinates at bottom of map view independent from UTM projection in Project's Map/FC?

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5; Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB:

I have a feature class that uses the NAD 83 UTM 17N projection. When I add the FC to a blank Project/Map, the Map (in the Contents pane) uses the NAD 83 UTM 17N projection as well.

But at the bottom of the map view, if I change the units to UTM, the coordinates are displayed as 17T ... .

Does that mean the UTM coordinates at the bottom of the map view are independent from the UTM projection in the Project's Map?

I'm trying to confirm if my conclusion in this Esri case is correct or not:
Esri Case #03618325 - UTM coordinates: Map and FC are zone 17N, but UTM coordinates at bottom of map say 17T

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The UTM coordinates vs UTM projection question.

They are tied together because the X and Y values are the same, the N vs T is the lune vs utm zone thing, that is why there is no 17N or 17S  when eutm.pngxpressing coordinates as UTM coordinates, but there is a 17N and 17S when talking about a UTM projection (north and south of the equator)

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

17 N  means zone 17 North of the equator

17 T   is the lettered 6 x 8 degree block within the zone from 40-48N  latitude 78-84W longitude

Universal Transverse Mercator coordinate system - Wikipedia

DanPatterson_0-1715109989883.png

Universal Transverse Mercator zones - Universal Transverse Mercator coordinate system - Wikipedia

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you need more info?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

I understand what you said here:

17 N  means zone 17 North of the equator

17 T   is the lettered 6 x 8 degree block within the zone from 40-48N  latitude 78-84W longitude

But my question is more: Why do the UTM units at the bottom of the map view use 17T, when the Project's Map/FC uses 17N? Is it because the UTM map units at the bottom of the map view are not tied to the Project's Map projection?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The UTM coordinates vs UTM projection question.

They are tied together because the X and Y values are the same, the N vs T is the lune vs utm zone thing, that is why there is no 17N or 17S  when eutm.pngxpressing coordinates as UTM coordinates, but there is a 17N and 17S when talking about a UTM projection (north and south of the equator)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

[removed]

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
no https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lune_(geometry) it is the area bounded by 2 lines of longitude eg between -78 and -72 , 6 degrees of longitude in width, the width is 6/360 of the circumference of Earth at the equator and 0/360 at the poles.... think of the outer surface of an orange section

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos