WidgetManager.js references

Jump to solution
07-09-2021 06:20 AM
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

WABDev 1.19

Theme: Launchpad

I'm looking for how WAB refers to the WidgetManager.js file when a page is initially loaded.  Is there a specific .html file that refers to it like,

<script src="WidgetManager.js" ></script>

Thanks for any info!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

So if you look at the source tab and search for WidgetManager.js file (after loading your WAB app) you will see "WidgetManager.js?wab_dv=2.20" so the easy way to manage no caching is to change the "deployVersion = '2.20';" in the env.js file each time you make some code changes. For example 

deployVersion = '2.20.070921';

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

That js file is loader inside the configLoader.js, configManager.js, main.js, etc  files. There is not a script tag that loads it.

JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

I see.  The issue I have is I included a bit of code in the WidgetManager.js to attempt to deal with caching.  Anytime I redeploy a WAB with custom widgets this cache issue rears its head and telling users to clear browser cache or use incognito window (both work) is not an acceptable solution.

I updated the _tryLoadWidgetConfig function in the WidgetManager.js with this,

_tryLoadWidgetConfig: function (setting) {
        var def = new Deferred();
        //need load config first, because the template may be use the config data  
        if (setting.config && lang.isObject(setting.config)) {
            //if widget is configurated in the app config.json, the i18n has beed rocessed  
            def.resolve(setting.config);
            return def;
        } else if (setting.config) {
            if (require.cache['url:' + setting.config]) {
                def.resolve(json.parse(require.cache['url:' + setting.config]));
                return def;
            }
            var configFile = utils.processUrlInAppConfig(setting.config);
            // The widgetConfig filename is dependent on widget label,  
            // IE8 & IE9 do not encode automatically while attempt to request file.  
            var configFileArray = configFile.split('/');
            configFileArray[configFileArray.length - 1] =
            encodeURIComponent(configFileArray[configFileArray.length - 1]);
            configFile = configFileArray.join('/');
            //Append date to ensure you get the latest json file  
            configFile += "?currentVersion=" + Date.now();
            return xhr(configFile, {
                handleAs: "json",
                headers: {
                    "X-Requested-With": null
                }
            });
        } else {
            return this._tryLoadResource(setting, 'config').then(function (config) {
                //this property is used in map config plugin  
                setting.isDefaultConfig = true;
                return config;
            });
        }
    },

However, the WidgetManager.js file itself is being cached.  So I hoped to apply something to whatever loaded this to force a new version to be loaded each time.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

So if you look at the source tab and search for WidgetManager.js file (after loading your WAB app) you will see "WidgetManager.js?wab_dv=2.20" so the easy way to manage no caching is to change the "deployVersion = '2.20';" in the env.js file each time you make some code changes. For example 

deployVersion = '2.20.070921';
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Ok thank you I will give that a go!

0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Robert this looks like it will be the winner on this issue.  I had a strange result when I tested but since I redeployed again the initial testing is promising and just need users to validate.

Thanks for the tips.

0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

I took one of our dev WABs with custom widgets and updated the env.js file line #83 with your suggestion:

deployVersion = '2.19.20210709';

I added the Bookmarks widget to the WAB app, redeployed it and navigated to the app and this is what shows when it opens:

JamesCrandall_0-1625848680635.png

Inspecting the env.js that got loaded, line 83 shows the cached version not what I changed it to.

If I use incognito browser window (Chrome) it opens just fine with the Bookmarks widget!

0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

I then tried to update the index.html with this,

<script type="text/javascript" src="env.js?1"></script>

Which seemed to do something!  I can see the Bookmarks widget and I didn't get the error as before but now the WAB loads weird like top of the page is split.

JamesCrandall_1-1625849922381.png

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

In the index.html file there are script tags that call the init.js file that loads most of the WAB js files.