Web AppBuilder - Deploy Web App Steps?

Jump to solution
07-08-2015 09:53 AM
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Any guidance on deploying a web app designed in Web AppBuilder and to be hosted on our local Portal for ArcGIS (10.3). The app was necessary because it has one custom widget (elevation profile). I built the app in Web AppBuilder and tested out the widget which works fine. I downloaded the app as instructed through Web AppBuilder. The next step says to unzip the app and "Deploy it on your web server." This is where I need help, I've never deployed a website before. On our web server there is a inetpub folder with a subfolder wwwroot. Is this where the unzipped site content should reside? Thanks for any guidance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ben,

Here is a step by step guide:

Deploying the app to IIS is pretty straight forward.

1. After you have downloaded the app from WAB using the WAB Home page and clicking the triple ellipses and choose download, you will get a zip file.
  2. Unzip this zip file to a known location (I do not like to put the files directly in the inetpub\wwwroot folder as this folder requires Administrator access to edit). I normally use a www folder on the root of my c drive  (c:\www\MywabApp1).
  3. Once I have unzipped the website files to (c:\www\MywabApp1), I now open IIS and expand the tree in the connections window until I see the Default Web Site, then I right click on the Default Web Site and choose "Add Application"
  4. I enter my sites alias "MyWABApp1" and then in the Physical path I browse to "c:\www\MywabApp1".
  5. I then click the "Connect as..." and choose Specific user and click set and add credentials (do this even is you are the admin on this machine).
  6. I next click "Test Settings..." and verify Authentication and Authorization.
  7. Click OK to complete the Add Application dialog
  8. I now enter the website url "http://gislap183/MyWABApp1/" in my browser and it brings up the WAB site.
  9. My last step is to open the config.json file from the c:\www\MywabApp1 folder and use by JS IDE (Brackets) to "beautify" the json and then add my proxy url.

View solution in original post

31 Replies
DanielStoelb

Yes, you should be unzipping the file and placing the unzipped contents on your web server in the inetpub/wwwroot directory.  You'll want to make sure that if you're using any sort of proxy that this is shown in the json file properly as well.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ben,

Here is a step by step guide:

Deploying the app to IIS is pretty straight forward.

1. After you have downloaded the app from WAB using the WAB Home page and clicking the triple ellipses and choose download, you will get a zip file.
  2. Unzip this zip file to a known location (I do not like to put the files directly in the inetpub\wwwroot folder as this folder requires Administrator access to edit). I normally use a www folder on the root of my c drive  (c:\www\MywabApp1).
  3. Once I have unzipped the website files to (c:\www\MywabApp1), I now open IIS and expand the tree in the connections window until I see the Default Web Site, then I right click on the Default Web Site and choose "Add Application"
  4. I enter my sites alias "MyWABApp1" and then in the Physical path I browse to "c:\www\MywabApp1".
  5. I then click the "Connect as..." and choose Specific user and click set and add credentials (do this even is you are the admin on this machine).
  6. I next click "Test Settings..." and verify Authentication and Authorization.
  7. Click OK to complete the Add Application dialog
  8. I now enter the website url "http://gislap183/MyWABApp1/" in my browser and it brings up the WAB site.
  9. My last step is to open the config.json file from the c:\www\MywabApp1 folder and use by JS IDE (Brackets) to "beautify" the json and then add my proxy url.
BenGrod

Thank you Daniel and Robert for you help!

0 Kudos
VikramS
Occasional Contributor

Robert,

If I had deployed an app using above methods. Will the app open for those people whom don't have access to the webmap.

I believe if an user tries to open an app from WAB directly and if it doesn't have access he cannot open the app .

I am wondering if the same will happen if we deploy the app in IIS ?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Vikram,

If you web map is not publicly accessible then the app will error. If the web map is publicly accessible but some of the map services in the web map are secured and not publicly accessible then the user will be challenged for a username and password and if they do not provide a correct one then that layer(s) will not show in the app.

FlorianCADOZ
Occasional Contributor

Robert,

I don't understand the step 5 and 6...

Are you using the IIS authentication system ? Does the Windows'auth system is compatible with the AGOL/AGS auth system or is it just an other login step ?

Thank you by advance

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Florian,

This is telling IIS what access permissions the application has to the directories that the apps physical path point to.

FlorianCADOZ
Occasional Contributor

Oh ! Okay, so nothing to do with the authenticate system ! Just windows directories' rights !

Thank you for your explanation

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Correct

0 Kudos